Saturday, March 22, 2008

Doctor Eric's Indian Story

Well, I just got back from my 2nd visit to the eye doctor. Seems I had some vision issues that the old doc wanted to have another look at, and after an hour of testing, I was given a clean bill of optical health. All that aside from the fact that I needed a new pair of stronger, but much more stylish glasses, I left feeling better that I wasn't moving closer to blindness like Dr. Eric thought. "Whew!" I also left with a really great motorbike story from the doc.

As I was sitting in the chair with my eyes stinging from the drops that had been put in, Dr. Eric asked what year my Vespa is, and how did I come about buying it. After sharing my story, Dr. Eric said "I once had a chance to own an old Indian bike." After belting out, "Why didn't get it?" Dr. Eric told me the story.

Back when Eric was a young man living at home in Canada, his uncle John, who owned a big farm in the country, would come to visit now and again. Eric's dad, who was a doctor, would give old uncle John his annual physical for insurance purposes. Seems that Uncle John would get all wound up and nervous, thus sending his blood pressure soaring whenever he saw anyone other than his own brother for his check-up. During one of the visits, Eric said something about being upset that someone had stolen a motorcycle motor from the back of his pickup. Hearing this, the old uncle said that he had an "old Indian bike" at his farm, and the kid could "have it if he wants it." Well, I don't know about you, but if I had heard an offer like that when I was a kid, I would have peed my shorts in happiness over such an opportunity.

Eric chomped at the bit for weeks bugging his dad to go visit Uncle John so he could collect his prize. Throughout this whole time of waiting, he dreamed of what it would be like to ride the old classic. Finally the day came, and Eric and his dad drove up to the farm in their pickup to have a visit, and finally see the Indian for the first time. The boys spent some time chatting at the kitchen table over lunch before Eric asked if he could go see the bike. It took a bit of reminding for Uncle John to remember that Eric wanted the motorbike, and he finally said, "Oh, so you want the old Indian bike, 'Yeah, its out back in the shed, go have a look at it." Eric beat a path out to the shed, and upon pulling open the door shedding light into the dark, dirt floored out building, he finally saw it sitting there...a Honda Trail 90. "Huh??? this can't be right, where is the Indian bike?" "What do you mean?" Eric heard as his uncle walked up to the shed. "That's the old indian bike I told you about." "An old indian that I know left it with me, and now I'm giving it to you." "Don't you want it?" Before the words were through coming out of Uncle John's mouth, Eric was on his way back to the pickup, his dream completely shattered. He was not going to own the "Indian," and he sure as crap wasn't going to own a Honda 90...he was going home.

I don't know if my eyes were still watering from the solution that had been dripped in earlier, or if they were watering from laughing at the story, but man, this was a classic tale, and I thought that I should share it with you.

Have fun,
Bill

3 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

That's a pretty amusing story, Bill.

But an old Indian would be a pretty cool bike. As I recall, it's an old (now) Indian that holds some of the land speed records for bikes, using an old Indian that he keeps modifying and souping up more.

Can't think of his name at the moment. More rain, argh !!

3:07 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Ah, here it is. I guess he really wasn't an Indian, but the bike was.

Worlds fastest Indian

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great story Bill.

So I take it he didn't want a rice burner? I'm partial to Hondas myself ;)

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter