Sunday, February 17, 2008

Two Close Calls Too Many

I spent some time dinking around the shop today just tinkering on the scooters and motorbikes, and basically just enjoying the decent weather. Every once in a while, I would run in to get my Daytona 500 fix as well. Never being a big NASCAR fan in the past, I find myself drawn more and more to the sport as I get older. I don't know what the appeal is, but I like it.

The Big Ruckus was in dire need of fuel, so I figured to kill two birds with one stone and took my fuel can with 2-stroke mix and fixed it to the back rack of the BR so I could also fill up the Vespa tank today as well. I figured on riding both scoots today, and the gas run would give me a chance to ride the Big Ruckus. I was glad that I was on the BR since it has more power than the Vespa. The extra juice got me out of a near miss as I was riding home.

I was rolling up to an intersection in the thru-lane, and was almost at bumper level with a car that was preparing to turn left when the dumbass "Jabba the Hut" sized lady decided to go straight and yank her car back into the lane I was already filling. I had hung back long enough to watch her commit with both her actions, and turn signal, so rolling through the intersection didn't seem "iffy." The only thing I could do was wick the throttle all the way to pop out right in front of her with very little to spare. Had I not been wearing gloves, I could have reached into the back of my jeans and thrown some of the crap that I had just taken in my pants onto her windshield. Stupid, stupid woman.

So...I get home and fill up the Vespa tank and fire the old dog up, and off for a little neighborhood ride we go. As I'm putting along on "C" Street with no traffic for blocks either in front, or behind me, with the exception of a Subaru, the blond dumbass chick driver of the Subaru decides that it would be a funny joke to crank her wheel to the left into my lane to give me a little scare I guess. Her and the hillbilly moron dude in the passenger seat were laughing like spastics as their car jolted back into her lane before it was too late.

It is one thing that the first idiot was just too stupid to realize that she put me in some serious danger, but the other jackass chose her move to provide some hilarity for herself and her pet human. In either case, both persons deserve a punch directly in the face for what they did, and the laughing dude in the Subaru deserves two punches in the face as well. One for laughing, and one for being with a girl that is that stupid. When it comes to riding, I take it seriously. When it comes to driving, I take it seriously too.

The bottom line is that the actions of these two distinctly different, but also the same, bottom feeding assclowns help me choose to not continue riding today. It's almost funny to think that I can hang out and watch the Daytona 500 where the driving is much safer than on my local streets. Even at 195 miles per hour!

Have fun, and be safe!
Bill

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill -

Getting caught up on your blog.... sorry to hear about the two moron drivers today. It is infuriating isn't it? One day, subaru couple will do that to the wrong 2-wheeler.

The other day, I had a cage-lady "push" me out of my lane in Seattle. She would have had to be legally blind not to see me (white VFR, HI-VIZ Phantom one-piece suit). This wasn't a blind spot issue either! She started coming over when I was next to her, possibly even slightly ahead. I laid on the horn and got NO response whatsoever! She just had a blank stare. I dropped the hammer and the damn front wheel came up passing her...and I'm not normally that kind of rider. It's really hard to brush it off when someone basically attempts to kill you.

Take it easy,
Dan

5:00 PM  
Blogger DaveM said...

As you know, I now live in NASCAR country. I always expect to be run over when ever I go out, as scooters are rare in these parts and it seems like we are invisible. Sorry to hear about the close calls, but know that bad behavior like this is not isolated to good old PA. I just hope none of these people were related to me.

5:48 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Back when I built and drove race cars I was a big Nascar fan, not so much anymore though.

But I did drop into beer church to watch the race (I don't have cable at home) for a while, I like the races on the super tracks.

But I was the only one that wanted to watch, the others there was having a loud party at the other end of the bar and playing the jukebox so loud that I couldn't hear the TV.

So this bastard just had two beers and came home. I've been to two Nascar races, in Phoenix and Los Wages.

Phoenix sucks but Los Wages has a really nice setup and track, not a bad seat in the house. The sights (biker women mooning you), smells and sounds are really cool but you see more watching them on TV.

Yeah, you have to be careful around here, there is getting to be a lot of idiots here.

Right click and select to open the link in a new window to see what happened to this poor guy on a scooter.

screwed scooter dude

6:31 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Dan,
Thanks for popping in. You know, the HUGE lady that almost mashed me in the intersection had the same blank stare, and no sign of even caring. As far as I can figure, she didn't even slow down. Either I am insignificant in her squinty little eyes, or she has know concept of what happened.

As far as the Subaru couple goes, I hope to run up on them again on my Sportster. I would be fine with "dotting" their eyes for both of them.

Dave M.
I know that this kind of junk isn't just a PA thing, and no way could it have been anyone from your brood. Your clan cannot come close to being compared to these holes.

That must be cool living in NASCAR country. Living there must be like being in the old 70's movie, "Eat my dust." That would rule!

Billy B.
As much as I dig knowing your crazy old self now, I wish I would have known you in your racing days. It would have been a blast watching you roundy-pounding and trading paint.

If I ever get a chance to see the races at a big track, I want to go to Las Wages to do it.

One cool note as far as racing goes. My wife and I used to watch a lot of sprint car races up at Skagit Speedway a few years back, and we got to hang out up close and personal with both Dave Blaney, and Kasey Kahne when they were still throwing dirt. It was fun to watch them both at the Big Race today on the tube.

Oh, and WTF is right. That video sucked!

Have fun,
Bill

8:13 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

We both had close calls this weekend. Once upon a time I used to retaliate against overt acts against me. A boot to the sideview mirror was always fun. Once, as a cop, my Sargent friend and I were stopped at a light on our bikes. A lady came up and seemed to purposely bump us. Neither of us fell over, but Clyde put his bike on the sidestand, walked back to her car, and kicked a huge dent in her door. As she stared open-mouthed we proceded on our way.

These days I just swallow the bile and celebrate the fact that I'm not living in their poor, miserable, pitiful world!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
In both cases, had the opportunity to been there to make my mark, I would have. The huge woman with the little squinty eyes bailed onto an overpass and lugged her car away leaving me pissed in the far right lane. The clown chick in the Subaru was already rolling faster than the Vespa could ever hope to go, so I was stuck in both cases with violent images racing through my head of what I would do if I only could. And I guarantee I would have done damage.

Whatever the outcome, I know that with the Subaru couple, someone would have been punched. It's been a long time since I had felt like this, but the deal was done...if only they would have stopped. DAMN!

Have fun,
Bill

5:01 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I couldn't be a cop, people give cops too much crap and I would be thumping heads and hauling them off to jail.

I haven't been stopped very many times over the years but I never gave a cop a bad time when I was.

If I was a cop in this town I could give out a hundred tickets a day, that would be cool.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Heinz N Frenchie said...

One has to wonder, what takes over normal people when they get behind the wheel of a car, that turns them into monsters. We once had a big black Mercedes try to run us off the road in traffic that was bumper to bumper. The guy had very dark tinted windows so we could not really get a good look at him. But we asked him thru his dark colored window if he was purposely trying to run us off the road. We are two Vespas in bright red and yellow, so no excuses. Watch out for the malicious! Glad you are OK

6:21 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
I think that giving out tickets in this town would be fairly easy since there is always somebody zig-zagging through traffic. Tailgating seems to have become more populr too. Everyone is in a hurry.

Heinz and Frenchie,
Thanks. I guess we all have to deal with people that have little regard for the safety of riders. It doesn't matter where you go, some dimwit is going to be there to put someone on two wheels in peril. We need to keep our awareness level high at all times for sure.

Have fun,
Bill

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter