Friday, February 01, 2008

Things Are Really...Nice

At the beginning of the week, we had snow on the ground, followed by some icy mornings that made driving interesting, and now as we end the work week, we were facing the same snowy forecast. I said "were," because after all of this mumbo jumbo about the entire region being in a snow advisory situation, it was as if the meteorologists all shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh, forget it, lets just have rain."

I looked at the NOAA website earlier today, and it was full of color for the entire western Washington frame. Gale warnings, Winter storm warnings, high surf advisories, lowland snow advisories, and then some. When I refreshed the screen later, most all of the color was gone, as were the dark advisories. Even the forecast had a cheerier tone calling for mostly rain, and warmer temps. I'd hate to have a job like that. Predicting change is pretty hard.

Tomorrow will be the beginning of my new schedule at work. After six plus years, I now have the traditional Saturday-Sunday weekend off. I was thinking of my little five year old son never knowing me to have Saturdays at home. This is going to be nice.

Work is moving in a positive direction now for everyone with a recent change in top level management. The man that I most directly work with is now our CEO/President. Not to take anything away from the outgoing honcho, but the new blood has a vision of the future that has been explained to me in clear enough terms that I can not only understand, but can grasp and embrace as well. And...I have the support of the new management to lead my crew my way. Taking on more responsibilities as the manager for my crew is made much easier by the fact that I have a very good crew to begin with. This too, is going to be nice.

As far as scootering goes, I will now be able to have real honest-to-goodness weekends to take part in rallies and events that I always wished that I could have before. Even when I was living in the "biker" world, I would always have to bag out and miss the runs. I am really looking forward to being involved in the Seattle scooter rally scene, and getting to know some of the folks that are involved. This will be really nice.

Our little scooter group is closer to getting involved in the Royal Bastard Scooter Club scene as well. If not for a change of plans for one of the group, we would have met up with Zippy Bastard in Seattle on Sunday. But, as we all want to make the trip over, we will reschedule for later in the month. My thanks to her for being understanding. And following the theme of this post...she too is really nice.

Have fun,
Bill

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know Bill.....Spring is only a month or so away.

Congrats on the work hour shift. Glad you'll have the standard weekend now.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
Oh I know, and I get happier every day because of it.

Thanks, it'll feel good to be back in a more traditional routine. It's been a long time.

Have fun,
Bill

9:21 AM  
Blogger Orin said...

To bad you guys won't be coming over... I threw a ride together for tomorrow (Sunday), everyone's welcome. We meet at Krispy Kreme in SoDo at noon, if you see this in time and want to come...

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

9:42 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

It sounds like the job is going great for you, that is good.

The day of the snow I didn't go anywhere, I can drive on it but I don't trust others.

Keeps the body shops busy though.

I need to look for another carburetor for my scooter, one with a manual choke so I can get rid of the cold start electric enrichment setup that is on it.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Orin,
I really wish that I could have made the trip over with the crew. I could have come alone, but we need to represent as a group to gain acceptance into the club.

The chance to get together with your riding crew would have been a good time I'm sure.

Billy B.
Yeah, the changes at work are all for the better. All about raising the bar you know.

You might have some luck on that carb by checking with Tom or Dan at P.A. Power. The both work in the shop in back, but they really know their stuff.

Have fun,
Bill

12:35 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm an old master mechanic, I even have a metal lathe, welder, 12 ton press and things like that here.

I figured out what was wrong with the carb but I'm not paying 60 bucks to PA Power for a new solenoid for it.

I want an old fashioned one with a manual choke, I'm an old fashioned sort in ways.

Oh wait, I am old. LOL

6:12 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
You remind me of Burt Munro. Have you ever seen The World's Fastest Indian? That is one inspirational flick.

Have fun,
Bill

7:43 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Ha, ha, ha, he pees on his lemon tree everyday. Like I pee on my apple tree.

Go Burt !!!!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

This has been one messed up winter. Just nags at a person and never really does anything. As a result I often skip commuting to work on the Vespa only to find everything was fine.

Congratulations of the traditional work schedule. When you have kids it is a nice thing to have.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

2:57 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
As many times as I've watched the movie, I hadn't thought of peeing on my fruit trees. The old lady next door will surely call the cops, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Steve,
This is one messed up winter. I can't seem to get into the groove of consistant riding like last year. The whole work thing changed, and my commitment to ride changed with it.

I'll get it figured out in the next few weeks and hopefully get back on the scooter commuting track. I hate the thought of becoming a weekend warrior. I'll have to fix that real soon!

Have fun,
Bill

6:49 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

When the old lady next door is looking out her window watching me take a leak I shake it at her a few times and she laughs.

But she is no prude like so many women, she is a real sweetheart.

7:05 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Ever watch 'Waterworld'? It is coming to that. Learn to pee on things.

7:08 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

Don't feel pressured to ride every day. Nobody's going to think less of you. At least nobody that counts. The part I'm really pleased for you about is the vision at work. A clearly communicated vision that one can embrace transforms "the grind" into a quest and adventure.

Makes all the difference, doesn't it?

4:15 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
Sounds like your neighbor lady has a great sense of humor. Mine doesn't. I hate to think of the "Waterworld" reference to our future. I don't have a wetsuit.

Irondad,
I still have last year fresh in my mind, and the amount of riding that I did through the Winter months. This year I won't even come close, but thats the way it works out now.

The only "grind" about work now is the seasonal slowdown in sales. Other than that, the change in focus from the new blood has me really digging into areas that we hadn't worked in before. This is where I get to roll up my sleeves and do what I was hired to do. I'm in my happy zone now.

Have fun,
Bill

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter