Sunday, January 13, 2008

Spit-shine Sunday

Walking out to the shop this morning, I was amazed at how wet my yard is. It's like walking on a loaded sponge. In the Summertime, I'll dink around with my motorbikes on the pad just outside my shop door. It gives quick access to my tools, and still allows me the chance to be in the sunshine. Well, this isn't Summer, and there isn't much in the way of sunshine, so I'll be doing my dinking around inside today.

My project for today, is to do a spit-shine cleaning job on my Vespa. I had placed a small order with Scooterworks for some rubber bits, and after getting the parts and putting them on, I decided to take some time to get everything cleaned up again. The Big Ruckus really needs a bath too since its seen most of the mud and grime over the past weeks, but the Vespa comes first.

I'll probably wait to bathe the Ruckus till next weekend because we're supposed to get some honest to goodness nice weather this week. From Tuesday through Sunday we should see sunshine every day. Aside from cool mornings and some fog to begin each day, the weather hottie is predicting sunny days. This translates into consistant riding for me. I'm stoked!

One twist in my commuting situation that I didn't have before, is that I have taken on some different job duties that I didn't have in my job description. My role as a Retail Sales Manager has been defined a little differently since we began more of a "team management" direction within our 3 stores. I will have more of a crossover role between the different store staff groups. Basically, I will spend time running around a whole bunch more, and working with a lot more people.

Oh yeah...and I carry around this briefcase looking thing to keep all of my files and stuff in. Lucky for me that my bride hooked me up with a messenger bag that she found on eBay. It should do the trick I hope.

One cool thing about this new role, is that our other store is close to home. I will be able to use the Vespa for this commute, since I won't have to deal with having to run at highway speeds. My Vespa will get me to around 42 mph, but thats a little slow for the route I take to my everyday job. I've done it on the Vespa, but its a bit butt-puckering. The dirty Ruckus will handle this part of the job.

The bottom line is that even though my job is changing for the better, with more challenges, the one constant will be that I can remain a scooter commuter. It might take some creativity on my part to make sure that I can take everything that I need with me each day, to wherever I end up, but I'll be riding, and thats all that counts.

Have fun,
Bill

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the new responsibilities.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Bill. I'm glad you're able to work the job responsibilities around your scooter riding.

You have been inspiring me the last year or so to get more commuting time in on my bike. I'm planning on riding the Wing to work on Fridays. It is "casual day" and I can wear jeans, so I realy don't have a good excuse not to.

7:01 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Hey Bill, I didn't know that you had a blog. I've had one for a few years now, just to show everyone how bat shit crazy I am as I bitch about the world.

I've never owned a Vespa, when young I had a Chusman, and a couple of Lambretta's.

Now I have a Honda 150 Elite. I like it as it will do almost 60 MPH and gets over 70 MPG.

I've seen you out on the spit with yours. Happy Scootering. Bill Cook.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Rick,
Thank, I'll need it!

Sarch,
Always good to hear from you.

I'm flattered that I can be a good influence to anyone when it comes to riding. Fridays will be that much better!

Billy B!!!
Man am I glad to find you here. I'll tell you right now...as a dude that sells nuts, bolts and boards, you are one cat that I really enjoy having in the store.

You're as straight shootin' as anyone I know, and I apprieciate that. I'll roll over to your blogsite and hang around awhile.

Lets talk about scoots one of these days.

Have fun,
Bill

8:00 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

My other scoot is electric. Limited range but is cheap.

But being as the new store is just a block and a half from me I often just walk there.

The only polluting I do is if I happen to fart. :-)

9:23 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

Spit shining? That's sick, Bro'! Riding in the snow and ice is fine but being that clean is over the top!

6:41 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

Riding in the snow? Fine. Riding in ice? Fine. Spit shining and being that clean? A little over the top, me thinks!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Billy, pop over to my blog when you get a minute. I'm curious as to how you would answer the question I've posted.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
You should buzz on over to work one of these days of your scoot. I'd be interested in checking either one of your scooters out.

I hung out over at your site, and will definately link you to mine. I like your writing style.

Irondad,
Hey, come on now...it was a bonding experience! A good pony always apprieciates a rub down.

Sarch,
Will do.

Have fun,
Bill

7:58 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

I've linked you to my blog also Bill.

You may come to hate me for that. Ah, sometimes life is just too amusing. LOL

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter