Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm Inspired...Again

As I was breezing through some of my favorite moto-blog sites a few nights back, I rolled into Scootin' Old Skool. Orin O'Neill had posted about a couple of German gents that were touring the U.S. on handlebar model vintage Vespa's. I took a good look at the photos, and was really digging the fact that these two intrepid souls were seeing this beautiful country from the solo-seats of these wonderful old scooters. Let's just say that I was pretty darned impressed.

So, two days later I'm hanging out in front of work on my lunch break, which is Highway 101, and I'll be darned if these two German adventurers don't ride by right in front of me. You would have thought that I just saw Batman by the way I reacted. I'm saying out loud, "Hey, it's those guys...it's the German dudes!" I start looking around to tell someone, and there's nobody to tell. But man, it was cool. The way they dressed made the whole look perfect. If I was quicker and had no pride, I would have chased them like a schoolgirl to get them to stop and chat a bit. But I'm pretty slow, and besides...I had a sandwich to finish.

Anyway, on to other business. I've been tinkering with the idea of still following my desire to own a larger cc model Vespa than the 125GT that I have now. I have these late-night schemes to build into a concise plan to downsize my scooter inventory and purchase a daily workhorse all-purpose Vespa. It's great that I am blessed with a wife that allows me to seize these barn find opportunities, but the wish is still strong to pare down to one brand. Although I'm strong on the Honda brand now, Vespa has a firm grip on my wishbone.

I think change is good anyway. Sometimes a cat has to mix things up a little to see how different everything settles. So I'll research my options, and take some time to plan whatever move I might make, and like so many of you daily Vespa riders, look forward to adopting that one brand, as the real brand of choice.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger Orin said...

Bill, I must admit I'm missing Safety Ed's GT... he asked for it back the other day. But his wanting it back means he's (I hope) ready to ride again, so I'm more than happy to do so.

Having the GT for a long-term test has convinced me it's an excellent choice for someone who wants a scooter as their primary ride. It's comfortable, easy to ride, handles nicely and most importantly has enough power to do freeways if necessary. And I got 70 mpg... I don't know if a GTS would do better with its electronic fuel injection.

What also makes the GT a good choice is the sheer numbers of used ones with ~300 miles on them for sale on Craigslist, usually at around a grand off the out-the-door price for a new one.

But right now, I don't have the money for one of my own. Hopefully Safety Ed will let me borrow his once in a while...

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

9:11 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Orin,
The GT sounds like the ticket for me. It's not like I want to beat the tar out of any ride, but I want one that will take the rigors of everyday use. Even though my Big Ruckus fills the bill, my desire is to go with Vespa as my brand of choice.

I'm really looking forward to the process of selling off the majority of what I own in scooters, with the focus of owning the one Vespa that I have, and the search of an everyday Vespa workhorse. Another challenge to take on.

Have fun,
Bill

11:53 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

It just never ends, does it? Once we start down that two wheeled path we have to keep going.

Sure, it seems innocent enough in the beginning. It's just a moped. Pretty soon we're on to a Trail 90, a Mule, or a Ruckus. It's okay for a while but even that's not enough anymore. A series of fixes involving smaller then larger scooters comes next.

Before we know it we're strung out on long legged sport tourers.

We're sick I tell you, totally sick! However, if this is mentally unbalanced then I never want to be well. Katie says I suffer from insanity but she's as wrong as she can be. I'm not suffering at all. In fact, I'm thoroughly enjoying every minute of it!!! Do I catch the scent of a possible asylum bunkie coming along?

9:08 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Oh yeah, the GT for sure. Plus if you are even half a grease monkey(sadly, I'm not) the engine is a lot easier to work on.(from what i hear) Orin is spot on about getting a pre-owned GT. Plus they have now discontinued the GT, so already it's a Modern Vintage:)
As reliable as Hondas are......the history,looks, and prestige of owning a Vespa is number one reason i own one!
GO FOR IT MACK DADDY!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
As far as motorbikes go, I've been goofy as a pet raccoon for a long time. No cure wanted either.

It's always the same for me. Why look at the prize when you can see the next prize in the distance? Thats the one I'll always want.

Cody,
You can bet I'll be looking at the GT as the numero uno option. I too have been told that they are easier to tinker on. I hope to get a look at one soon.

The history of these things is so cool. If I am going to narrow down to one brand, Vespa is the way for me.

Have fun,
Bill

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter