Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ride To "New" Work

Here's my working class scoot Mule, parked in our classy new workplace. We have actually laid claim to a parking area designated for "Scooters Only". Had Jeff and Dreamcrusher not been at lunch, the photo would have been of three scoots instead of one.
I've been on another marathon schedule this week, and hope that after our grand-opening on June 1st, and 2nd to get back to more normal hours. Too much work and not enough rest makes for one edgy dude. Even though you try not to bring work home with you, there is a lack of spirit and energy that comes with running too hard, and too long. And this shows up in how you act, or react at home. One has to remain a "cool cat" to keep loved ones happy during times of edginess. So far, so good.
The upside is that my daily commute has doubled in distance, and this gives me a chance to unwind, and take the slow road home.
Being that the new store is on the East side of town, just outside city limits, we are now county residents. The store is on Highway 101, and I end up getting to run the scoot up to speed a little bit, rather than the slower speeds inside the city limits. Unless...I take a little side route on what used to be called "Bay Loop".
A little exploring led to much surprise as I tooled around this undeveloped oasis between work and town. There are great views of both the Olympic Mountains, and the Strait of Juan De Fuca, and the cool thing is that you can see the sights through fields of grass and trees. There are still old barns and farm houses, and the roads (not streets) wander in a curvy, up and down way, rather than the flat boring grid of city streets. It is by no means a big area, but it offers that rural touch that will make putting around on a Summer lunch hour so much nicer. I'll post some photo's soon.
Well, one more week of controlled chaos before the big opening celebration, then hopefully we can settle into a more normal stride to take us through the Summer months. And as more folks are being impacted by the high fuel costs of travelling further to work, maybe we will see more scooters in the "reserved" parking area. All others will be scoffed at!
Have fun,
Bill

4 Comments:

Blogger irondad said...

I'm so disappointed by what I see in the photo. The Mule is a bike, right? Bikes feel like they're being punished for something if you make them press their nose against a wall. Back them in and they are much happier. At least they get to see the world go by while they're parked! Makes them much more manageable on the ride home.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
I'm an insensitive idiot. I know better than to treat my trusty friend like that. I think of the awesome mountain view that I'm robbing Mule of by aiming his rump out instead of his nose.

Back-in parking from now on!

Have fun,
Bill

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....funny comment irondad. You obviously know and understand the feelings of bikes!

And glad to see that the heavy work schedule hasn't made you blind to your scoots' feelings Bill :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

You make an interesting point. I'm one of those guys that seems to actually need above a set number of miles in order to feel like I've ridden. Seems like you might be one of those guys too...

Harv

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter