Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Enter The Helix


So after handing me three eBay print-outs with prices ranging from $1350.00 to $2400.00, Ken asks me "Okay, how much do you want to give me for it?" Without looking up, I said "Thirteen hundred." "AWW, come on!, I just put a new battery in it." "Okay, thirteen hundred, plus the cost of the battery." "Alright...deal." And so it was that I became the owner of this '86 Honda Helix.
After a trip to the courthouse to swap the title over, we headed over to Ken's to pick up the scooter. I did a pre-flight and found the tires to be about 20 lbs. low, so I whipped out the trusty hand pump and air gauge that I had brought along for this very reason, and aired up. After a few spins of the starter, she fired up and idled with a nice low putt, putt, putt, that sounded much different than my trusty Big Ruckus. She sounded good though, and after taking a moment to put the new license plate on, then with a handshake and a wave, we were off to the ranch with my wife and little ones in tow in the family van.
Once home, I took stock in the condition of this old bird and found most everything to be in great shape. I performed basic maintenance with an oil change, bleeding of brakes, a good look at the tire condition, and a good scrubbing. She shined up like a new penny.
I didn't expect to put her into service right away, but as I was looking at the BR and Helix side by side, I noticed that Mule's tabs had just expired at the end of June. No time like now to see if she'll commute, and I'll tell you what, this easy chair on wheels will do just fine. With the better than fair sized "trunk" in back, I now have ample room to store all of my junk with room to spare. And the way that she feels cruising down the road, (although a bit skittish with the light feel to the steering), I get almost zero wind from the front. No wind in my face, chest, legs...nothing. I'm not used to this, as the BR allows me to enjoy all the wonderful breezes and gusts as well as the warm Summer rain. It's different.
I've already been asked what I'm going to do with the Helix, and my answer is "I don't know." Like I told Ken, "I guess I must be a collector now." I'm not going to worry about it, I'll ride whichever scoot suits my fancy, and just be happy that I can commute on two wheels, and not be caged. And if down the road I meet a needy soul that needs this old bird more than me, I'll hand them a stack of eBay print-outs...with prices ranging from about $2000.00 and up!
Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a beaut Bill...nice purchase. Ok so it sounds to me like you might want to consider keeping both. That way when you're in a "wind in the face" mood you can head over to Old Helix and when you're in "easy chair" mode you step over and saddle up on the newer baby.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...

Isn't that a nice feeling? Walk out to the garage, raise the door, and go "Hmmmmmm...? Which wonderful motorbike do I want to ride today?"

Now...

Whip it! Whip it good!

=gc=

11:52 AM  
Blogger Orin said...

Bill, congrats on your new purchase! That's one nice thing about scooters... they don't cost much, and they don't take up a lot of space, so you can have more than one!

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

4:16 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
Yeah, it's a good deal. Always nice to have options. We'll see where my loyalties are by which ride I choose the most. Should me interesting.

Gary,
Yeah...I'm feeling it. Eeny, meeny, miney, moe...And if I catch the Helix by the toe, I will then "Whip it REAL good."

Orin,
Thanks. All of a sudden, there are good deals popping up all over. I'm lucky enough to have scored on this one.

Have fun...Happy Forth!
Bill

8:09 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Hey Bill,
Odd but comfortable looking scoot. Looks like the Evangelist is starting to acquire a nice little collection.
We are on our long summer trip now and I'm blogging about it. You have'nt visited for awhile, come on over and say hello.

4:32 AM  
Blogger delrond said...

nice new ride! never riden a helix myself. To be honest ill be happy when my "one" scooter is ready to be riden heh

Anyway just thought i would say hi and inform you of my latest new blog

http://modvespa.com

Any feedback greatily appreciated

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

I am tall, thin, with no facial hair, no name tag or company logo, and mid-aged...ish.

I hope you enjoy your Helix and if fate should bring you a buyer, I am sure it will be to a very good home! ;)

Very cool blog Bill!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter