Monday, June 11, 2007

Sitting Down With Dave M.

Boy, did I ever get a big helping of "It's a small world" when I visited with Dave M. and his wife Marcel a few days back. Dave brings us scooter bums, news, music and scooter related information on his podcast found at www.sctrcst.com and as a follower of this online resource I suggest that you pay a visit today. TODAY!

A number of months ago I received an email at work from this "Dave" character who was putting a podcast together, and he recognized the name of my business while visiting my blog site. No way did I ever think that I would be interviewed months later by this gent from Richmond Virginia. But I did in fact get to sit down with Dave, and our conversation can be found on episode 15 which appeared this morning. Access the podcast by simply clicking the "Pickle Player" icon, and enjoy. I was given the opportunity to share my beginnings in blogging, and also to tip my hat to a few of the fellows that inspired me. I know that I left out some folks that are important to me, but I wanted to acknowledge the three dudes that welcomed me aboard when I began.

The "small world" part comes from the fact that we have close ties to a lot of the same people. My wife even worked for Dave's Mom! My half crazy father-in-law was a childhood friend, and I am good friends with his cousins. I even shopped and hung around at his uncle's motorcycle shop. We touched on quite a few more in-common points that made me feel right at home in his company.

It is amazing to me how our scooter community can be stretched so far across our great country, and I end up making new friends in Dave and Marcel from Virginia. Wow... all because I took up the invitation to create a blog site of my own.

If you have some spare time, have a listen. Let me know what you think. Let Dave know too!

Have fun,
Bill

9 Comments:

Blogger DaveM said...

Great to speak to you too Bill. I have been pondering this whole trip, what a small world this is and the connections we have, if you just look. It is one of the things that has amazed me when talking with other bloggers. By the way, I have had come into my possession, a collection of your cartoon art, which I will share with you as soon as I return home and can crank up the scanner. Thanks again for the wonderful conversation.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Dave,
Hey, thanks! I had a real nice time with you folks, and look forward to meeting again down the road.

I know I'm missing some of my own cartoons, so you may be able to fill some blank spots for me. I will really apprieciate that! We'll talk again soon.

Have fun,
Bill

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Bill, I don't have ipod or whatever it takes to get those podcasts.

Really, beyond the basic windows-based internet stuff, I'm a technical luddite. I don't do GPS, cell-phones, ipods, or whatever.

Does Dave M. write? I'll gladly read what he has to say.

Thanks, and...

Ride well,
=gc=

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

I'm listening to the podcast even as I leave this comment....what a hoot! Don't think I've ever listened to a podcast before.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Gary,
You can find Dave's written overview of the podcast at the same site that I listed in the post. He's a "Real McCoy" scooter guy, and a great guy to get to know. I'm glad that I met him.

I tipped my hat to you in a big way, and paid compliments to you, Steve and Irondad for being the three guy's that welcomed me when I started. I urged Dave to look you up soon. I hope he does.

Sarch,
I sound way different than I thought I did. It was a great experience to meet Dave and be interviewed to share my story. It was a "hoot" for sure.

Have fun,
Bill

7:40 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

Another (carburated) Luddite here. I'll find a way to listen to it. And I'd like to see your artwork too!

Roadbum

10:13 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

Bill,
Listened to the podcast this morning. Unlike the Marine, Army guys love technology!!!

Great to get to know a little more about you in the interview. Thanks for the mention and glad to know that we made you feel supported. We all need each other around here! Everyone helps to bring out a little different perspective. Keeps us balanced, as it were.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Harv,
Luddite's rule! The cartoons that Dave was talking about were from back in the day when I did a weekly single frame for the local paper. Four plus years of etchings, and Dave has probably got more than I have of the collection.

Dan,
Thanks for listening. Had I not found the site and followed the adventures of you cats, I may not have found the more enjoyable outlook that I now have in moto-commuting, and riding in general.

Have fun,
Bill

4:50 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

You don't need anything but a Web browser to listen to the podcast. On Dave's site just click on the PicklePlayer icon in the right-hand navigation. It will open a little interface and you can choose the show you want to listen to.

The iPod or other little device is only necessary if you want to take the file with you to listen to later.

And it is a small world. That's why you always have to behave yourself no matter where you go....

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter