Saturday, June 02, 2007

My Scooter's View

After posting my most recent entry, Irondad commented about the direction that my faithful steed was parked. Any rider worth his salt should know better than to park "nose-in". My insensitivity was robbing my scooters need to look out into the world to see what he was missing during these non-riding hours of my working day. The above photo is the view from my parking space, and what a wonderful view it is.

I hope to think that I am not the only person in our company that spends a moment each day taking in the Olympic Mountains from our storefront windows. I can't think of a better setting to work in.

Today was day two of our grand opening celebration, and it was a true carnival of activity. Aside from the crush of customers coming in to take advantage of the sales event, we had a car show both days, featuring stock vintage restoration's, hot rod's, and a full row of Mustang's, and '55, '56 and '57 Chevy's. And I never really had a chance to get up close to any of them. I was in the mosh pit behind the counter smilin' and selling like a mad man. We also had all of our major vendors displaying their products in the front lot in perfect sunny conditions. At last count, 2500 hamburgers were served at the free barbecue, and probably even more hot dogs. Pepsi was on hand to keep the soft drinks flowing, and prizes were handed out every hour.

What had me pleased, was all of the scooters finding our little parking area. There were makes and models that I have never seen up close before. And the Harley's...geez, when you have a parking lot full of hot rod's and a barbecue pit, you will attract the big bike crowd like bums to a baloney sandwich.

But it's finally over. We moved in, got settled, and had a huge party. Now we can get back to work, and maybe find a comfortable pace and get away from the hectic hustle that has been the past three weeks. Tomorrow I'm on tap to pull one more day of overtime, and as I back my scooter into his spot, I'll stop to look at our view, then I'll get back to work.

Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Blogger vespajitsu said...

Cool view for sure!
Did you do any "evangelist" work with all the other scooterists?
Love 57 Chevys, what a great year that was...lol
Peace!
Cody

11:34 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

1957...exactly a year before my time. Yeah, I spoke with some folks as they passed through work, but couldn't get out to do my "work".

Have fun,
Bill

5:59 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

I've always liked the '56 the best. SOmething about that pointed nose... The year they came out with all the goodies for that model too hehe. Well over a hundred options.
If I worked with that view I'd be depressed. I'd just want to be out there!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Congratulations on getting the new store off the ground. Now that all that work is behind you you're probably ready for another adventure of some sort!

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

5:47 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Harv,
I owned a '55 Bel-Air when my wife and I got married. Bone stock and completely cherry. Even had fender skirts! It was one of two cars that I wish I still had. The other being a '66 Chevelle Malibu, with a hot 327 motor.

The view is so nice from where we work. I get to see it from an angle that I don't normally see. And my favorite roads to ride are in them thar hills!

Steve,
I think I'm all "adventured" out for awhile. My candle is burnt from both ends. I came home from work on Sunday and promptly got sick. I told my wife that as soon as I "finally let my guard down, I got popped with a summer cold".

I scheduled a vacation for a week in July to do some riding and camping, and to get away from my work obsession of the past few months. I'm so ready.

Have fun,
Bill

7:39 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

I personally like the '57 Belairs. I feel so much better, now. Even faithful scooters need a view that helps them keep perspective. Nothing like a view of those beautiful mountains to do that!!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that view is awesome! You live in a beautiful part of the country. No wonder you're a scooter finatic. No better way to enjoy the scenery.

Bill I know this is a stupid question, but since I'm the newbie around here I'm entitled to a few stupid ones...what do ya'll sell at your work?

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter