Friday, June 29, 2007

Happy In The Rain

Well, it wasn't raining when I left work, why would I think that it would before I got home? Oh yeah, it always rains in June here. Maybe Summer will officially begin on July 5th like it does every year.

I gotta say, there has always been something about getting caught in the rain that appeals to my twisted sense of what is fun. Riding home on Mule in a total downpour had me grinning like an idiot, and I was laughing as I sloshed my way into the shop to park the scoot. I have to ask myself, what makes my spirits rise on occasions like this, compared to a putt on a warm sunny day? Ahh, who cares, I'm happy and thats all that counts.

Here lately, I've been making a bold attempt at getting into better shape, so I've been running a few days each week, and riding my bicycle a couple of days as well. Now, having been a competitive bicyclist in days long ago, I decided to try another path other than the one before. This time around, my bicycle of choice is not a top-end Trek or Cannondale, it's a hundred dollar beach cruiser with a coaster brake. Yep, no gears to shift, no cables to adjust. Just climb on and go. I figure that simple is best, and you can't get a whole lot more simple that that.

My wife probably thought that I was nuts the other night when I went peeling down the road wearing my cargo shorts and a skull design tee-shirt, yelling "Wooo"! Not your typical Tour de France garb, but I did have my Bell bicycle helmet and gloves on.

So now my list of passions has grown. I ride my scooter to work and back each day, then either jog super slowly for a few miles, or pedal down the road looking like an aging grunger on a boardwalk classic. This is some healthy stuff friends, both for the body, and for the mind. If you get a chance to give it a try, do it. Who knows, you might even have a rainy day to play in, and you too might end up with the "idiots grin". It feels good.

Have fun,
Bill

10 Comments:

Blogger irondad said...

Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
Well then, I'm to be viewed as someone afflicted with "Boogie fever".

The older I get, and the more settled I become, the less I worry about how I look in other people's eyes. As long as I can hear can still "hear the music".

Have fun,
Bill

5:47 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

As the rain moves across the continent it must be dropping fitness vibes. I too am trying to get into better shape.

Riding a scooter is an indication of freedom from what other people think. I have a pink mountain bike. That requires some separation from other's opinions as well.

Keep riding in the rain!

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My own physiology and genetics are going to force me to get back into shape. I had started lifting weights again, and my upper body strength is fine, but my endurance has flagged, and my blood pressure is considered critically high.

Once I fully recover from this surgery, I am going to have to blow the dust off that Rockhopper mountain bike in my garage.

Thanks for the reminder, Billy...

Ride well,
=gc=

2:06 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
I've got no idea where the spark of interest in getting fit came from, I'm just glad that it did. What makes it feel right, is that I can fit the running and riding into my day, and still have time to ride my scooters. The bonus of the longer daylight hours I guess.

I remember the ribbing that I took when I played a pink Stratocaster on stage. I didn't care, cuz it was a sweet sounding rig.

Gary,
I still carry a bit of a "buff" look from my days of iron, but I've found that the additional weight that comes with it makes running a bit of a chore. I keep thinking that if I stick it out, I'll lose the "buffet" look, and just be fit.

I'm real happy to know that you are on the mend. I've been thinking about you.

Have fun,
Bill

4:38 PM  
Blogger Combatscoot said...

I've been walking, and mowing the lawn with the pushreel mower. Pretty-good stuff. Would'nt mind having a beach cruiser, but there are more important things to spend money on right now.
John

8:05 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Glad to see you back on the road to fitness! it's hard to maintain while on this extended road trip(especially eating so many of my Mom's cookies) But i did bring some workout equipment with me. I'm having a blast riding though. So glad we brought the Vespas.
GET FIT brother!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

John,
Those old pushreel mowers are a great workout! I should try that out. My lawn would be mowed, and I would be tapped out. Good thinking!

Cody,
You must not pass up Mom's cookies! Yeah, it was time to get back to a better level of fitness. I know what to do, I just lacked motivation to do it. I found the motivation.

Have fun,
Bill

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill I thought I was the only twisted son of a gun who got a thrill at the feel of that first raindrop.

When riding 2up I have to make a concerted effort to keep my wife from discovering that many times I am secretly hoping that we get caught by those rainclouds that she is bird-dogging and reporting to me about as we ride :)

4:30 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
Ever since I was a pup, I'm told that I light up when the rains come down. Maybe that was Summer rain, cuz I get a little flagged during Winter monsoon season.

Have fun,
Bill

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter