Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Waitin' On Ken To Call

I got a phone call the other night that has had me on pins and needles since I hung up the phone. My Dad wanted me to know that a family friend was finally ready to sell off his fathers motorcycle collection, and I was getting first choice on whatever I wanted.

Ken has been a friend of the family since I was a little boy. As a close friend of my Dad's, Ken would spend hours in the family garage working on old cars, and hopping up his '68 El Camino with my Pop's help. Ken would become an engineer later on in life and work as an independant contractor for Chrysler, Boeing, the State of Washington DOT and the University of Washington to name a few of the outfits that he was a "trouble shooter" for. I just know him as a really cool guy that I looked up to as a kid. I also remember his Dad.

When I was a pump jockey at a Chevron station, Ken's Pop would ride by now and then on any number of "old" motorbikes and bicycles. Only living just over a block from the station, Mr. "Z" would stop in every once in a while for gas and chat a bit. I always thought it was cool that he rode old iron, and was bummed to hear of his passing many years ago. I wondered what became of his collection.

Fast-forward to now, with Ken coming home to Port Angeles to work on his Dad's old place more frequently from his home in the Seattle area, the offer has been made to one of my younger brothers to rent the old place, and handle the upkeep. The determination was also made that it is finally time to clean out the old shop, and the motorbikes will have to go. Thankfully, I've shown interest in "looking" at the bikes, and Ken realizing that I am the "real deal", he is willing to let me in to look with intent to purchase.

My memory can't come up with a clear picture of what I saw back in the late '70's and early '80's, but I remember that there was variety in the bikes that Mr. "Z" rode. I was told recently that there "are some scooters, and a bunch of other bikes in there". This might be one of those "barn find" gold mines that I often read about. Whatever the outcome, next time Ken rolls into town, I'm supposed to meet him at the old place and "we can have a look around'.

I don't want to seem too excited, so I stopped jumping up and down clapping long enough to write this post. But doggone it, I am excited. The end of the rainbow is on 6th Street, and the Pot 'o Gold is right inside the old shed. I'm just waiting for the next call.

Have fun,
Bill

8 Comments:

Blogger irondad said...

I really do wish you'd stop jumping up and down. Makes all the print on your blog too shaky to read!

What a cool opportunity. You need to start a "wish list" from your friends. Probably make some money on "finder's fees"!

8:22 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

Buy what you can, take a loan on the rest and decide what to sell what you don't really want to have later. No, I'm not joking. You'll forget about the money long before you ever regret the collection you stretched yourself for. Plus, if frieds buy them from you, you can ride, er, stay in touch with them. If you find any Vincents ya gotta let me know... Ariels... even a Sunbeam... hehe

Roadbum

10:57 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Awesome dude! Christmas in June :)

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how cool is this?

It isn't necessary to remind you to carry your camera with you is it?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Dan,
NO WAY! I want it all for myself! Just kidding. I need to cool out till I have a chance to peek inside to see what is there. Then I'll see how it goes.

I got burned out on jumping pretty quick anyway. It made me breathe hard.

Roadbum,
Thats good advise, but if I find any of the bikes you listed, I'll have them parked in my living room within the hour.

Cody,
Picture me like a cartoon dog, licking my chops with a napkin tied around my neck, and rubbing my paws together waiting for a BIG soup bone. Thats how I'm waiting.

Sarch!
Where you been? Glad to have you in the old neighborhood.

It's cool for sure, and I will have my camera with me.

Have fun,
Bill

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill I've been around. Just got back from a family vacation to Orlando and have been enjoying having the week off.

Think I'll get some saddle time today :)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Lucky said...

I'm jumping up and down, clapping and giggling for you.

Be sure to document the occasion, so we can all live vicariously through you!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Lucky,
Man, I'm chomping at the bit waiting to get my shot at scoping out those bikes! Whenever it happens, it will be big time blog fodder for sure.

Have fun,
Bill

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter