Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Modern Vespa Calling...

You know, it seems that the majority of riders in our neighborhood that choose scooters as their two-wheeler of choice, have gravitated to the modern Vespa and have nothing but rave reviews to share. I'll admit that this has had me thinking of ways to join the bandwagon, but the one major hurdle to overcome is always going to be the almighty and elusive dollar. I'd have better luck finding Bigfoot in a supermarket produce aisle than coming up with the scratch to afford another scooter.

I'll have to put the modern Vespa idea on hold until we cover some low-hanging debts, or until I find a fruitful money tree growing in my back yard.

I won't complain though, since I have a sweet vintage Vespa already, and my steady workhorse Honda Big Ruckus. As stylish and pretty as the newer Vespa's are, the Ruckus is rugged and masculine. With the utility vehicle looks and capability of hauling a sizable load, the BR is more like a Jeep than a fine Italian sports car. Not forgetting that Steve Williams used his Vespa to haul a Christmas tree, I still view the modern wasp as more of a sleek, well bred piece of rolling art. And I really want one.

Coming from this part of the country, where logging trucks and dirt haulers still rule the roads, it makes more sense to stick with tradition and ride a utility-look scooter. I mean, where else can you find hickory shirts, suspenders, Carhartt pants and "Romeo" slippers as everyday dress wear? Do I want to stand out like a sore thumb? The answer is YES! I may not have a drop of Italian blood in my veins, but the doggone modern Piaggio, and Vespa world is calling, and I'm just staring at the caller ID deciding whether or not to answer.

As I scroll through the blogroll looking at Steve, Gary, Orin, Harv the Roadbum, "Vancouver" Dave and so on, my desire to keep up with you "Vespisti" brothers increases with each blog post I read. And I do read them all. As I've said before, when I get into something, I usually go all the way.

But...at least for now, as I look at my huge financial roadblock, I at least have something to dream about and plan for. And sometimes half the fun of achieving a goal like this, is in how you apply yourself to making it happen.

I think that today is a good day to start making it happen.

Have fun,
Bill

9 Comments:

Blogger Combatscoot said...

I'm kinda' in that area, myself, except what I'm wanting is a scoot that is all mine, rather than being financed. I also want to downsize to a 250, which I think is plenty enough for me and a bit better fuel-mileage-wise.
John

6:21 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey Bill, just came across your blog, and noticed that you're within riding distance of Seattle. Some friends and I (mostly Ruckus riders) are planning a ride this Friday in Seattle (Space Needle to Alki Beach). Just thought I'd throw out an invite. Of course, all sizes of scooters are welcome to ride with us. And I thought it might be cool to have a "big brother" Ruck come along w/ out little ones. Take care!

6:54 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

OK Bill, I'll forgive you for not mentioning me as a fellow Modern Vespisti. But only this one time lol!
I love the BR, I ride with a buddy of mine who has one. They are more comfortable to ride that's for sure. And much more utilitarian!
You are already styling with the Vintage Vespa you have, so I wouldn't sweat getting one until ur able to buy one outright.
When that happens, look for a preowned one on Craigslist,ebay,and at Modernvespa.com. There are always deals to be had and usually you can find a GT or GTS with low miles for way less that at a Vespa "boutique".
Seattle has a very active scooter scene, so I bet you could find one around your area!
Yours in Christ,
Cody

8:06 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

John,
I feel like a kid looking in a store window at the cool new toy that I can't have. It won't stop my from wishing though.

The 250 has plenty of spunk, and better fuel milage to boot. Not a bad way to go.

"B"
I'm glad you found my digs. Stop by anytime.
Thanks for the invite. I wish I could come and hang with you cats, but I have to work this weekend. I will be in Seattle during Amerivespa though. It would be cool to see some little brother Rucksters blasting around with the Vespa's.

Cody,
Sorry for the slight! I knew it, then blew it. I owe ya.

I'll be cruising over to Seattle soon to check out the scene, and hope to prospect a bit. Ya' never know what treasures you might find in an "Emerald City".

Have fun,
Bill

8:05 PM  
Blogger Orin said...

Bill, at any given time, Craigslist always seems to have a one- or two-year old Vespa GT 200 with ~300 miles on it, for considerably less than the price of a new one. My friend Safety Ed got his that way, and I am mildly frustrated I can't do likewise at the moment. I love the PX, but even with a Sito Plus pipe, it'll still be a bit of a slowpoke on 101, and it will still get nervous in the aero wake of a semi. I'd love to have a touring bike...

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

12:10 AM  
Blogger Teller said...

Bill, the Honda you have, it's very cool. I wouldn't mind owning a second scooter like that. Until then, I'm super satisfied with my new 250cc :)

1:33 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Orin,
I can't imagine these folks buying, then offloading their scoots without ever taking the time to get to enjoy them. But, the end result will end up in my favor if I can pull some scratch together to buy one.

I would be content with the PX, but as you said, the GT 200 would add some mph to the ride.

Teller,
You got that right! The Honda is cool, but I too could be "super satisfied" with the Vespa 250.

Thanks for coming by. Drop in anytime.

Have fun,
Bill

7:41 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

There's nothing wrong with what ya have now bud. Don't slip the clutch on that, eh? People are always looking for ways to get the next big thing but its more fun when it literally falls right in your lap.

But you know... You could start with an ET4 for a lot less and be getting all the MV you're looking for as a start and for a bit less change.

Roadbum

9:15 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Bill,

The modern four stroke Vespa is sweet and if you like the classic styling and quiet performance there isn't much choice...

Hauling ability is more a matter of imagination than scooter make. I've hauled three bags of sand on the GTS but I could have done the same on a Honda Metropolitan. What keeps people from seeing the new Vespa's as utility vehicles is a desire to put them on a pedestal and keep them bright and shiny. For good or bad I never acquired much cosmetic concern for vehicles aside from general maintenance. I use them, wear them out, and get another. My cars last ten years, they just don't always look like they just came from the showroom. The GTS has the same look already.

I think you need to go on a demo ride of a GT or GTS and then see what you think.

I always thought Vespa was rugged and masculine. Did I miss something?

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter