Sunday, May 20, 2007

Workin' To Ride

I figured that I'd better post something quick before a layer of dust covers my blogspot. The total all-out effort to get the new store open has taken every bit of my free time, and I'm officially pooped. With the exception of Mothers Day, a good number of us have been working seven days a week, with 12 hours a day being the average. And every grumpy minute has been worth it. The new era for Hartnagel Building Supply begins tomorrow when we officially open at 7:00. I'm ready.

Up until Friday, I had been riding every day. My office space needed to be moved, so the family truckster has been pressed into service to cart my junk across town. I've got one more load to haul tomorrow, then I'll be back to scooting every day. The shock of watching my fuel gauge drop to the six o'clock position has me missing my Mule after only 2 days.

I had one highlight on Friday when Orin O'Neill dropped in on his way from Seattle to Victoria B.C. on his '05 Vespa PX150. Orin's trip to the Garden City Scooter Rally is being updated daily at his blogsite, www.scootinoldskool.wordpress.com . I suggest that you take a peek, as his writing style is quite good, and very entertaining. In my opinion, Orin is a true scooterist, and it was a pleasure to spend a few brief moments with him on a very hectic day. Anyone that rolls the stretch of highway that he did, with a top speed of 47 mph, and comes across as cool and collected as he did, earns top honors from me.

Now that I have finally taken an afternoon off, the rain has begun to fall as steadily as my energy dwindles. All I want to do is find a spot on the couch and see how far I can sink into it. If I can pull it off, I'll try to take Wednesday off to catch up on my yard work, and maybe take a spin on my Vespa. I'll be ready for an "Old skool scootin" fix by then.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger vespajitsu said...

You sure deserve a rest Bill! Good job!
Yours in Christ,
Cody

4:16 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

With the store opening you can now attest to the fact that there really is light at the end of the tunnel.

Slow down and bit now and smell the roses. Or just go for a ride.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

4:48 AM  
Blogger DaveM said...

Too much day job work can be bad for your health. Glad to see you posting again. Hope to see you in a few weeks.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bill,

Sounds like a labor of love! I guess it's a real difference working hard when it's something you really love and believe in, right?

Good luck with everything - and yes, take that day off if you can. You've earned it!

M

2:10 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Cody,
Thanks! I do deserve it.

Steve,
There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel,but it will be a while before the bugs are out of the tunnel. We still have some tweaking and fine tuning before it feels smooth again.

I'm big on stopping to smell the roses, so I think I'll ride me scooter to find the roses.

Dave M.
Oh, you are so right about too much work being bad for your health. Within the past three days, 1.) lower back strain, 2.) sore right ankle, and 3.) battered positive attitude. I'm beat.

It will be cool to have you back in the old neighborhood again. Even cooler to meet you.

Michael,
It really is a labor of love. I'm an owner of this monster of a store, and I take it as my personal responsibility to invest my time and sweat to do my part.

I'll take Wednesday off to recharge my batteries, and reaquaint myself with the lawnmower!

Have fun,
Bill

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter