Monday, May 12, 2008

Hey, I Was On Vacation Man!

Ha, ha. I blabbed about not letting a bunch of time go by between posts, then I did it anyway. Oh well, I had a pretty good excuse this time.

I gathered up my family and went on vacation to San Diego this past week. Actually, my mother in law was the trip planner, and I went along for the ride. Lego Land, San Diego Zoo, Sea World and all touristy points in between were covered, and as every day except one were overcast, we were able to putz around comfortably and not get scorched or overheated. The one day that the sun shined brightly was the day that we spent at the beach. Perfect!

It really was about putting together some memories for my kids that made this adventure important to my wife and I. It was driven home clearly to me when my 9 year old looked up at me and said "Thank you for bringing me to this place," while sitting in the right field bleachers at Petco Field while watching the Padres play the Rockies Friday evening. My first major league ballgame with my son, and he sincerely thanked me as only a little boy can do. Little fart choked me up. Funny how an entire trip can be made perfect by an innocent thank you.

The adventure was great, and my memories will last, but at 6:45 this morning the realization of the trip being over was made when I slipped my card into the timeclock at work and heard it click. I was no longer in a brand new resort off Camino Del Rio South, I was back at the grind. But I'll tell you something...Work makes things like this trip sooo much sweeter. I work, I stress, I worry. I devote too much time, I try to keep the crew happy and motivated. I burn myself out. Trips like these bring everything back to the starting line. And this my cronies, is a good thing.

My next installment will get you caught up on my scooter project, and we'll get back to the root of this blog. Scooters, motorbikes, and the meatwhistles that ride them.

Have fun,
Bill

6 Comments:

Blogger irondad said...

Family's the base that supports everything else. Seems you know that already.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got away with the fam. Always good for the mind and spirit Bill.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, there’s no public email on your pages. I’d like to get in touch with you regarding our Twowheelsblog and Eurocarblog. Two Wheels Blog is for readers interested in what’s happening on the motorcycling scene in Italy. If interested, you might contact me. Thanks, Gianluca

12:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Kids have strong magic and don't even know it. If they did that thank you would have been followed carefully over the next hour with a request for a BB gun that the two of you could go out in the woods with and plink tin cans and a mini-bike to have some father and son fun with.

Good thing they don't know how they get to us.

I remember going with my dad to see the Pirates play the Giants at Forbes Field as a kid. It still shines pretty bright in my head.

By the time I thought BB gun and minibike though the magic was gone and I had shot a plastic rocket powered by compressed water through the dining room window. Or maybe it was just after I shot out the rear window of our station wagon with my Whamo slingshot...

Either way, thanks for sharing the story. It brought back fond memories for me.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks
Theoretical Agriculture

4:20 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
My family is my base for sure. The most important part of my life.

Sarch,
Always good for the mind and spirt. I'd do it again today if I could afford it!

Gianluca,
I'll shoot you a note on the 2 blogs that you referenced. I'll be in touch.

Steve,
"Making memories," as my wife so well put it, is really the best part of adventures like this. Hopefully the kids will cherish these memories long after they've grown, and share them with their little ones.

Good to hear from you.

Have fun,
Bill

4:52 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
I didn't publish your comment, basically because the tone of it was pretty much offensive to myself and the folks that visit this site.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter