Sunday, September 30, 2007

Getting Used To Getting Wet

Looking out the kitchen window this morning gives me a good look at what the National Weather Service calls our "first hydrologically significant event of the season." Meaning lots of rain. The areas west of P.A. have gotten over 2 inches since last night, and the rivers will probably get close to flood stage by early this evening. Ahh, the Fall season has arrived.

My most recent post has the photo with sunny skies and beautiful views. Today is just plain wet and dreary. Just a few days ago we had the windows open until after dark because it was still a bit warm. Now the heaters have been turned on, and the long sleeved shirts returned to the front of the line as daily wear. Sweaters will be added soon enough.

At some point today I will don the fishtail parka and set out for a little ride in the rain. I hadn't ridden much this past week, and I think that a couple of my scooter riding cronies at work are beginning to suspect my resolve. The fact is, that I've been spending a bit more time with the Harley lately, and my riding has been in the evenings. After having it down so long, it feels good to blast down the highway on the old ratbike again. I'll post a photo of the ratbike in its lastest form in my next post. I changed the look again, and took it back to the way it was 2 years ago. The way that feels best for me when I'm riding it.

I have to tip my hat to the guys at work that have continued to ride as the season has turned. JayBee, TallSlim and even Dreamcrusher have been real consistent in using the scooter as daily transportation. As we press on in the coming months and face more "hydrologically significant events," hopefully we can keep our scooter parking spots filled up with our little band of scooter fanatics. After all, it's only rain...

Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So would you get beat up if you road the rat bike to work one day?

6:48 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
Nah, I may be old...but I'm still too fast for those cats to catch.

Have fun,
Bill

7:24 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

According to our state climatologist the sun will be back in the NW on July 23rd. I always shake my head when I see these ads for bikes that have never been ridden in the rain. Those are some low mileage bikes, for sure!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
I've seen those ads too. Those poons are also the guys that add a ton of chrome bolt-ons,and have fringe on their leather jackets.
They usually want somewhere close to MSPR when they sell their passing phase too. Poons suck.

Have fun,
Bill

6:56 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Hydrologically significant. I like that. We have a lot of rain here but never described that way.

Wet, cold, and dreary just makes the hot chocolate and muffins so much better....

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kano said...

Down south of you in Oregon we had the biggest downpour I had ever seen yesterday. It was half hail and half rain. As I stood in my doorway watching the event unfold I was glad that this one didn't catch me on the road!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
I like when they come up with weather descriptions like that. I don't like it much when they are right though. This time they got it right.

I rediscovered tea as a nice post ride warm up. Add in a blueberry muffin, and its all good.

Kano,
We had that same blast at 7:39 this morning. It was wicked hard rain and hail, and the temps must have dropped 10 degrees while that black cloud unloaded on us. I had chosen the truck today, and was glad that I did.

Have fun,
Bill

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter