Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catching Up...

I realized last night that it had been awhile since I posted anything, and that the pace of things in general seems to be moving rather quickly for me right now. Summer is flying past, and before we know it, the leaves will change color and fall to the ground, and the cold of the late season will be on us. I really need to soak in what's left of Summer now, and the only way to do that is to slow down. It's hard to smell the roses when the roses are gone though.

I have been spending some time in the evenings with a friend that landed in the hospital last week. I found out through another friend that my buddy was having complications from an earlier surgery, and would need to be opened back up and repaired. I was with him as the nurses came in to haul him away, and his spirits were good. The next evening found him wiped out on morphine, and not connected with the world around him. Looking out of one eye, trying to make conversation, he finally just reached out his hand and held mine for a moment, then fell asleep.

I hope that my visits make a difference for my friend, because it's made a difference for me. I'm left with the feeling that I am supposed to be there, and I'll continue to touch base till this gent is released to go home.

On the motorbike front, riding has been great lately, and it looks as though the Helix may find a new home soon. The "tall slim fellow" I'll call him, may be riding home on the old gal tomorrow. The Helix will be pressed into service as a full time commuter for both work and school, and in my opinion, will be the perfect scooter for the job. As much as I enjoy riding her, we haven't bonded together yet to the point where I will pine when she's gone. The Harley on the other hand...

I was sure that I could just put a price on the Sportster, and let it go. I was flat wrong. At the point of putting an ad in the classifieds, I walked in the back door and told my wife that I couldn't do it. I had gotten the old sled running, and had blasted all over the neighborhood, and knew from minute one that I couldn't part ways with a bike that I am identified with. This might be the one that I can't part with. I know this bike too well, and I'd hate to have to try to explain every funky little haywired quirk to a potential owner anyway. Better off that I keep peace in the shop, and lose the notion of selling my pony.

Right now the Sporty is in the bike shop getting a new starter. I had been told by a mechanic that the Sportster starter is "bomb proof" and that I probably needed to check my grounds, and clean all the leads. So with the battery replaced, and everything spit shined and cleaned, my electrogremlin showed up and halted my fun again. Frustrated, I pecked away long enough to get it fired up again, and jumped on and hauled tail to the local shop to have my buddy Paul diagnose the problem. Paul, by the way is not the mechanic that uttered the "bombproof" quote. MMI trained, Big Paul is my preferred moto-doctor, and he will hopefully have the sled up and running by mid-week. Just in time for my return to ABATE.

The chapter that I held the position of Coordinator in is going through a major overhaul. The head honcho that was in office when I first started, is coming back to rebuild the chapter literally as it was in its last stages of existence. I had moved along about a year ago when the direction had moved from where we were going, to a negative political path that I didn't want to follow. A simple phone call of "I'm back, and I need your help," was all it took. I'll come back, and I'll help out the best that I can, because the same guy that is leading the chapter again, is also my friend in the hospital, and he can use all the help that he can get right now.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bill,

Nice to catch up and good to hear that the summer is going well for you. Down in the southern hemisphere, we've been shivering through the winter (though it doesn't get as cold as it would over your way, mind you).

Sorry to hear about your friend - hope his recovery is speedy.

Hope you make the most of the last few weeks of summer with some nice riding! Right now down here, we're coming into some BEAUTIFUL riding weather - where the days don't get too hot and there's no frosty morning chill to contend with either.

Cheers,

Michael

1:07 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

We have an interesting relationship with ABATE here. Being a professional trainer, my vision of gear and theirs differs. We've amiably agreed to disagree. On the flip side, they believe deeply in rider training. I've had the privilege of teaching many of their members.

ABATE has, several times, inquired as to what we need and made monetary donations. Several of our sites now have nice conex type storage containers for the bikes thanks to their help. We appreciate their friendship even though we sometimes have differences.

Come to think of it, that's how the world of motorcycling should work, too, isn't it?

12:14 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Bill,
We would definitely be good friends if we lived closer. You are a compassionate dude and are full of life and enthusiasm!!
Also, thanks for your votes on my blog. I just posted the best of, and also for the positive comments!
Peace brother Bill!!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Michael,
Yeah, things are going well for sure. My friend is still on the mend, and will be for some time.

As far as weather around here, I can almost feel the change of the seasons already. It's all moving so fast. And you down there, with the warmer days coming...it'll be nice!

Irondad,
We (the ABATE chapter) need to move forward again from the dark hole that we were in this past number of months. The returning leadership takes us back to the days of 2002 when we were well respected within the chapters of the State.+

It'll take time and positive effort, but I'm confident that it will be worth it.

We too are endorsing the MSF training, and urge all riders to obtain their endorsements since the policia can impound your ride if you are found to be riding without a proper m/c endorsement. Four sportbike riders found this out the hard way 2 weekends ago when the State Patrol popped them on HWY 101. Tough love!

Cody,
Thanks for the nice words. We would get along just right, I'm sure too.

The bottom line, is being cool to people, and always exceeding their expectations of you. It's proven to be worth the effort every time.

Have fun,
Bill

5:17 PM  
Blogger Alessandro Melillo said...

hello Billy,
i discovered your weblog through Steve's Scooter in the Sticks.
I do run a scoot weblog as well, and if you like you can take a look, it's written both in Italian and English!
http://lxv125.blogspot.com
I'm going to add you on my links, feel free to do the same.

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter