Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Neighborhood Is Changing

Seems like life is taking it's toll on our little blog neighborhood. We find John over at Combat Commuter "packing it in" to continue his effort to rebuild his home life, and then yesterday I find that my biggest influence in moto-blogging is sliding into "hibernation." What the hell?

I have some solid favorites that I follow in the blog world, and Gary, the "Rush Hour Rambler" is in the top row of my favorites. Even if he pops up now and then to post one of his "Ramble Plans," the lack of consistency in his writings will be what I miss. I liken it to when my close friend told me that he was shipping out in the Navy. He was still my pal, and I would see and hear from him on occasion, but the fact was, that he was gone indefinitely and that was a void that was hard to fill.

But we all move on and continue down the paths that we are meant to follow. My path will still lead me to my keyboard to share my little snippets of life from my neck of the weeds.

The landscape that we've gotten used to is changing, and if "change is good" as the saying goes, then I'm cool with that. It won't stop me from checking in at their sites now and then to see if they have come back for a visit, or maybe for an even longer stay.

Now, that would be cool.

Have fun,
Bill

6 Comments:

Blogger Dru_ said...

Yes, it's sad to see John backing off on his blogging, I know I will miss his insights and experiences. Much as yours and Rush Hour Rambling and Scooter in the Sticks have provided influence and insight into my own riding experiences, his did too.

But yes, change is good, and something tells me that we'll hear from John as time and life permit, after all you cannot keep a good man down.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Kano said...

They will be missed! Hope it works out for the better for them and if not they will always be welcomed back.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Gary provided much inspiration to me, not just in blogging but riding as well. I don't think it would have even occurred to me to keep going when the weather turned cold if it wasn't for the Baron in Winter.

When John stepped back from the Combat Commuter it sort of raised a few questions myself about what I was doing. Bells sounded even louder when Gary drew the shutters.

I'm still thinking about what it is I am doing....

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

6:24 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Dru,
I too will miss John and the information that he provided. There were some tech lessons that I benefitted from for sure.

He also provided some real surprises too. As his writings led us to believe that all was blissful in his world, he crashes into the reality of marital shakiness. I wish him all the best, and hope that he will find the time to get back on the blog track that he fit so well in.

Kano,
Yeah, both of these cats will be missed by me for sure. Gary is, and will be "The Man" in my book.

Steve,
I was hoping that you would stop by.

You and I have Gary in common, in that we could literally see how each other were inspired by his tales, and that we would both push our personal riding envelopes because he blazed a trail, and we knew that the road was safe to follow. We both followed him from the beginning, as well as Dan did, and we all became friends as the days and weeks went by.

Its a bummer to see John fall off the radar, but to have Gary go into hibernation makes me actually miss the dude.

His mission is clear, and I respect him greatly for his making the sacrifice. He's a real stand up guy in my book.

Have fun,
Bill

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting to read how you folks have been touched by these people.

Something tells me you might not have seen the last of them.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
It looks as though John has pulled his plug. Thats cool. My hope is that Gary doesn't follow suit. This cat is "cool," and there aren't many folks that I run into that get that recognition. He's a leader, a motivator, and a dedicated father and husband. That is quite a package. And one heck of a writer.

Have fun,
Bill

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter