Saturday, August 04, 2007

Power Of The Positive Commute

Since I'm a pondering sort, I was thinking about my commute and how it affects my day. The Ride to Work is a ride of preparation. These are the moments that put me in a mindset that allows me to begin my workday clear and focused. As I ride, I take the time to look at the mountains, and try to take in some of the early morning sights, sounds and smells. I take deep breaths of the cool morning air and try to enjoy the relaxing feeling I get with riding as I close in on my destination.

I also take this time to start piecing together my battleplan for the day. As I try not to take my work home with me, I really need to get focused to feel like I'm ready to roll when I clock in. It's more about having my attitude in the right place, and I try to be consistant in showing a positive outlook. I find that it is much easier to feel chipper and awake after a ride in the crisp air on a motorscooter.

The ride home is different. This ride is for shedding the stress and mind clouding issues that come with a day on the job. This ride is the ride away from work, and it gives me a chance to prepare for the next part of my day...Husband and Daddy. I tend to string this putt out a little longer than the morning ride, as the extra time gives me a chance to both relax and to brace myself, because when you have little ones at home going full tilt, you gotta be on your toes or you are going to get run over. My kids are at the ages where its still a big deal to have Daddy come walking in from work. I get the full rundown on who did what to who, or "Can I have a popsickle before dinner?" "Can we play baseball?" and all the other things that are important to little whippers. You have to have your head right to handle these things.

Maybe its just me, but I feel clearer headed, sharper and much more prepared to handle both sides of my day by simply operating a scooter as my transportation. I'll try to convince anyone that will listen that the motorscooter is the "Fountain of Youth" in two-wheeled form, and that they will receive endless joy by simply breathing two-stroke smoke. So it's a given that I have convinced myself that I will be happier if I ride instead of drive to and from work. And in my world, that's all that counts.

Have fun,
Bill

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Bill. That's the kind of thing people who drive need to read, in order to escape the cages they put themselves in.

Ride well,
=gc=

6:21 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Gary,
Thanks. I had been thinking about this stuff for awhile, and I realized how simple it is for me to find the right mindset by scootin'. I wish I could bottle this attitude and sell it to the cage zombies.

Have fun,
Bill

3:19 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

When I get on the scooter to ride to work I still get excited. Often when I am riding down the street from home I realize I am grinning. Like you the ride allows me to enter and exit the workday and be relaxed.

I just drove to New York City in my truck and did a lot of thinking about the experience of being on the road. I'm working on a post about it but it's nothing like being on two wheels as you point out so well.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

4:20 AM  
Blogger delrond said...

Great post - I really related to it.

It's weird that when i drive i strive to escape from the moment i am in. But when i scoot its like i become more at one with what i am doing (i feel in the moment.)

Not sure if i make sense but love the post!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
I have "grinitis" all the time when I ride. I even have an upcoming post related to this term that I invented. Unless The Ramones come on the radio while I'm driving, it's a grinless experience.

I had to drive today, and it felt like I loaded my work issues into the back seat and brought them home with me. Not good.

Delrond,
Oh, believe me my friend, you made total sense. I get it, and its the same with me. I'm big on trying to capture moments, and the ride allows me to be IN the moment.

Funny how a simple choice of vehicle can do so much for your soul.

Have fun,
Bill

4:46 PM  
Blogger delrond said...

Hey man

Any chance i could be considered for your link section of your blog.

Im trying to get my blog "out-there" and having a little trouble.

I don't mind if it dont make the grade - it will just push me to work harder.


Vespa Motorcycle


Thanks for your time - and keep posting!
Danny

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter