Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"Grinitis"

I was trying to stack up some words to build a new post, then changed direction after I had made a comment to Steve Williams after my last post. I had said that I created the word "grinitis" in reference to my feelings when commuting on my scooter. So this is actually a continuation of the theme of my last post. I had also said that the only time I feel like this when I drive to work is if The Ramones come on the radio. That is pretty rare around these parts.

I had also noted that I had to drive today, and it felt like I brought some work issues along with me. The drive just doesn't have the "good time" flavor of scootering. I need to be in the elements, and feel, hear, smell and be a part of what is going on. Rain or shine, dark or light, old Billy Boy is the happy scooterin' cat. It's the same to me as the person poking his toe into the pool to decide if it's right to wade into. I'm the kid in the baggy swimsuit flying by on my way to a monster cannonball. I want to be all the way in, and enjoying every bit of the experience of being there. Driving to me, puts you there, but not in it the way that moto-commuting does. If this makes sense to you, then I made my point, if not, then chalk up these ramblings as the words of a scootering nut job. I'm happy either way.

I guess this brings me back to the term "grinitis" that I think I coined. This is more a feeling inside that I get when putting along on a simple motorscooter. I grin both inside, and outwardly as I tool along, and I have told many that they too can feel this way by giving riding a chance. What can you lose by giving riding a go? You might like it. Be safe, be smart, use good judgement in wearing protective equipment, and don't put yourself in unsafe conditions until you are prepared. But consider riding as an option to the boxed in world of the cage pilots.

I know that these are the words of the Scooter Evangelist, but unless I bang the drum now and then, I don't deserve to have my motorpulpit to preach from. Riding is not a magic pill, or a snake-oil to bring vitality and everlasting youth, it's just a flavor of happiness that many have acquired a taste for. And the side-effect of this flavor it the afore mentioned "grinitis." It's good stuff man...trust me.

Have fun,
Bill

12 Comments:

Blogger irondad said...

Ok, if a scooter nut job is seriously infected with "grinitis", and observers think he's not all there, is that called "Grim Rummy"?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Grinitis...I like it. And the Ramones are awesome, we have XM in my wife's car and they play some relly obscure stuff. I never knew the Ramones had so many weird sounding love ballads.....
I'll stick to the 'I wanna be sedated' Ramones

7:18 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
"Grim Rummy" will now be the definition. I'm accused of being "not all there" on a regular basis, so having a definitive term to apply to my mental makeup is handy.

Scott,
Oh, I hang my hat on The Ramones. There is something about the "Original Punk Pioneers" music that soothes my leather jacketed soul. Gabba Gabba Hey!

Have fun,
Bill

8:45 PM  
Blogger delrond said...

Hmm i feel a little grinitis today..heh great new word will start using it from now on

3:12 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

Hey, Bill:

What's going in Seattle this weekend that's got traffic so snarled? Any idea? Traffic's like some sort of presidential motorcade or something!

10:07 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

I'm just back in town and have been affected in a big way by Grinitis :) Riding through the Carolinas was just the cure I needed to give me fire for riding that so many of y'all have in such beautiful areas of the country.
Now I'm back in FL and will probably get the case of grumpitis :(
It feels good to be reading my favorite bloggers again and to also be blogging again. It gets kind of addictive. So i have some catching up to do....
BTW, how goes the fitness? I gained 7 lbs while on our trip. I worked out while away but my eating habits sucked. Now it's time to get back into my regimen!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Delrond,
It wasn't hard to feel that way today. The sun was out, but not to hot. And the riding was cool!

Irondad,
Oh buddy, this snarl isn't just a weekend event, it will go on for three weeks!

Three northbound lanes will be closed for 19 days for repairs. The segment between West Seattle Bridge and I-90 is the target area. This should bring some nasty rage to the surface for a few of the less stable cage pilots.

Cody,
Welcome back to the workaday world. I stop by now and then to see if you are still living the high life, and guessed that vacation must have really suited you.

Training has slowed a little, as work has sped up. But I have a bicycle event to ride in next month, so training will ramp up again full-steam on Sunday. Looking forward to catching up with you two.

Have fun,
Bill

4:53 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Oh yeah Bill, Sunday is D day for me also. So I guess I better get those photos up ASAP, popcorn isn't on the fitness diet...lol

6:18 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Ah grinitis. Is their anything better than the feelings that bring it on.

I wish I could find a few other things in life besides riding that cause it. As much as I like the Ramones they don't do it. As close as I come is with Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride....

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a chronic, incurable, and quite possibly terminal condition on the Vespa GTS.

"Grinitis"...Another great word coined by our friendly Scooter Evangelist. Nice job!

Ride well,
=gc=

4:28 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Hey Billy,
Could you please go to my blog and vote for your favorite photos. I bet the ones with the Vespas will give you "grinitis"!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
I'm always trying to find things to bring on a case of "grinitis."

I hadn't even thought of Magic Carpet Ride in years. I need to hear that tune again to catch the groove.

Gary,
I'm always spewing jumbled up words. Most of the time, I continue to use them, and some of them catch on with my cronies. It's funny to hear them come back to me.

Cody,
I'll head on over...

Have fun,
Bill

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter