Friday, August 24, 2007

Exit The Helix...(And A Couple Big Bridges)

I felt the need to blast out a quick post to at least feel caught up. This week has been full of meetings at work and elsewhere, and a full plate of activities to boot. So blogging fell off a bit, and I hate feeling like I'm behind.

The '86 Honda Helix that I was a short time caretaker for, has moved on to a good new home. The "Tall Slim Fellow" purchased the old gem on Monday, and has been commuting to work everyday since. His ride to work ends at the same place as mine, but begins quite a bit further up the road from where I start out each day. This will become a great fuel saving situation for my friend, and every buck counts. The bonus is the fact that he too will enjoy the feelings that we all share by leaving the cage at home, and two-wheeling to the grind every day. The "In the wind" feeling.

I hope that the Helix does the job as well for him as it did for me in the short time that I had with it. Ol' Mule is doing full duty again, and I don't feel like I'm cheating on it by scooting on another ride.

After dumping a big chunk of cash at the motorcycle shop, the Sportster is in top shape as well. The neighbors hate it when I light it up at 6:30 a.m. though, so I'll keep the peace by riding the Big Ruckus.

In changing subjects, we are all aware of the bridge collapse in the hometown of the Rush Hour Rambler, and the way it has affected Gary's daily commute. If you don't know, see his site on my blogroll, and you'll understand how this tragedy has impacted him as a daily commuter. And in my world, how bridge loss changes my ride as well.

Well ya see...there are these two bridges in my nice little town that connect East to West Port Angeles. Or, there were two, now there is one still in use, and one getting the wrecking ball. After 70 years of use, the City has decided to knock them down and replace them. November of '08 is the target time for being able to cross the valley's again, so we too will get to be creative in finding our ways to work. I happen to live on the far West side of town, and work on the furthest East side, so I enjoy the full effect of losing this connection.

The neat part is how the city turned some quiet little side-streets into main drags by simply putting up traffic signals and barriers with direction signs. Even leaving home early each day, I sometimes get caught waiting through a couple of signal cycles. The full impact won't be felt until mid next month when the Valley Street bridge gets the ball, then we'll start getting hung up even more each day. But, as a lady said to me at work, "In six months it'll all feel normal, and we won't even think about it any more." And she's right.

Until then, I'll keep buzzing out of here in the early hours on my scooter, having fun as usual.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Williams said...

We are adaptable little creatures aren't we? Sometimes I wish though that our adapting didn't always seem like a move downwards or backwards into chaos....

Bill, you must be one sweet neighbor to spare the folks the early morning Sportster firing. I should get you to come hear and conduct some seminars.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Bill....everytime I pop over here to read your blog I end up with the irresistable urge to hop on my two wheeler and get my knees in the breeze!

7:39 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

First off, you have my empathy. It seems like no matter where I need to go lately I'm getting stuck in heavy traffic more and more. Secondly, to put a positive spin on things, look at the fact that you have two opportunities to see of riding really does affect attitudes for the better.

The new Helix owner is one example. Having known him "pre-scooter", does he now seem more cheerful at work?

Then there's you. Will you still feel cheerful and empowered despite being forced to spend more time finding a path to and from work?

Circumstances can dictate how my body moves but can't control how my mind perceives it!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
Adapting to long term traffic inconvenience is not too bad for some, but some folks can't handle the change well. There is a lot of steering wheel pounding and screeching tires in the detour areas, but the traffic flow will only move so fast. That is the chaos part that sucks.

My direct neighbors are cool, so courtesy is afforded to them out of respect. But the day will come when I just HAVE to roll out the rat and rattle some windows.

Sarch,
Hey man, if you feel that way, then I must be doing my job! A little putt just seems to bring me back to "square one," and that is where I am happiest. Go ride.

Irondad,
First off, I will remain positive and "cheerful" no matter what. A change in route or traffic won't get me down. I just have to keep my wits sharp to deal with the j-holes that drive angry.

My pal, the new Helix dude is one happy cat anyway, but he seems to be quite pleased with the old girl.
He's getting positve comments from folks, and I know that's cool for him.

I love your last line, and I'm feelin' ya brother.

Have fun,
Bill

11:33 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

A bridge here in St Cloud (Sauk Rapids actually) is getting the same treatment but it was scheduled and the new one is almost finished. Detours be damned there's just not enough town to have to go that far out of the way for!

Hoping the best for your friend and congrats on the evangelism :) You've bapatized another convert (the choir is heard as an allelujah crescendos).

Cain't give up the Sporty, eh? I'm getting an earful for just discussing selling a particular steed. They're telling me I don't need to sell them, I just need more garage. Damn those sirens!

Harv

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter