Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Sunshine Day"

Do you remember that really horrible song, "Sunshine Day" that the Brady Bunch kids sang on the "Silver Platter" episode a few decades ago? Well, that tune could have been played as background music today as Mother Nature painted the sky with brilliant blue, and held the clouds back far enough to have one believe that it really is spring, with summer not far away.

These tasty conditions brought every fair-weather rider out in force, and the newbie scooterists tried their hand at playing in the streets as well. I was amazed at some of the awesome custom iron that I had never seen before, and also some of the rolling junk that folks had stored over the winter without bothering to attempt at least a bit of cleaning. Maybe they were rat bikes? At least they were riding, I was stuck at work trying to earn a buck.

It was great to see new-found friends, Nick and Talitha riding today, and that Nick has customized his C3 with some vinyl graphics that he found on the net. Talitha has a C3PO graphic next to the C3 logo, and it actually looks like it could be a stock decal. Jeff has also added a sweet Bettie Paige sticker to his Vino that has me staring at his scooter for more than one reason now.

The good weather also brought out a long time friend that just returned home from his snowbird residence in Arizona. "Red Sucker Ralph" is probably the one guy that I patterned myself after the most in my years of living in the "biker" lifestyle. In my earliest years of climbing the lifestyle ladder, Ralph was a big influence. How he carried himself, how he endured the elements, how he fought the legal system and won, and how he came back from a broken neck to be able to continue living the way that he chooses, still resonate with me today. And the fact that he still, to this day, treats me well means a great deal to me. Even when he asked me if the rumor was true that I "stepped backwards", and am now riding a scooter. I told him that "Yeah, I'm riding a scooter today, but I still own a Harley Davidson". I went on to tell him of my blogging adventures, and explained that the scooter allows me to ride everyday, and that it is the direction that I'm moving in now as a rider. I didn't want to go into the details of why I moved from that world to where I am now, other than my definition of being a "scooter bum" has changed.

Just like the weather has changed for the better now. As the days get longer, my opportunities to spend time with my Vespa increase. Tomorrow I will try to get my timing adjusted so I won't have to feather the throttle at low rpm. I intend to use the Vespa on occasion as a commuter, and want it to be as trouble-free as I can get it. At some point I want to post a comparison between Mule and Ol' Blue, so I need to have the saddle time to do it right. This should be a fun exercise.

So I'm hoping to hear that "Sunshine Day" tune in my head again tomorrow as I poke around on my "Day of rest". Then friends, I'm going for a ride!

Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Blogger Orin said...

Bill, Ol' Blue is one pretty bike! Looking forward to the comparison...

__Orin
www.scootinoldskool.com

9:29 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Vintage Vespa vs Honda, no comparison, the Honda will run mechanically better than the VV any day of the week, that's a given. But when it comes to looks, the VV has it all over any scoot! That's why I have a MV, the best of both worlds :)
That's a cool story about your mentor,but I'm sure you know Bill, you don't have to defend yourself to anyone about scootering! (Especially since you're probably bigger than most folks lol!) I don't even try, everyone has an opinion, but unless I'm askin don't come knockin!
BTW, where did your friend get his sticker? I'd like to put a Vespa Girl on my scoot.
Glad the weather is so nice, a beautiful state Washington. Howz about more pics? I mean you put one whole pic in your post....you know this is starting to become a recurrent complaint by your truely?! Cool bikes, pretty State,nice folks, come on Bill feed us some crumbs :)
Peace!
Cody

8:20 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

My '64 GL looks like your bike (mostly) but for the fact mine is forest green. And in a parts pile in the corner of the garage lol


Roadbum

8:13 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Orin,
Man, it's a sweet little ride! I've already started ramping up on the miles, so the comparison should be fairly soon...I hope.

Cody,
I agree, the vintage Italian scooters have found my soft spot. I hope as time goes by, that my collection of scooters will include another Vespa.

Next time I see Nick, I'll hit him up on where he found his stickers. I'll pass it on to you. At some point, I'll blast out some more pic's. Right now blogging is done on a "hit and run" basis. I've been a busy cat these days.

Roadbum,
I'm a sucker for forest green. I'll bet that the pile in your shop is waiting for some attention.
I'm gonna look up the '64 GL to get a feel for what you have cooking.

Have fun,
Bill

4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Bill,

Wow - is a scooter really seen as a "step back" in your circles? I agree that scooters seem to be a far more practical choice to enable one to ride every day - by contrast to some of the bikes out there that look impressive but remain a once a month hobby, if that. I think increasingly, we'll see a lot more serious riders appearing on scooters.

Cheers,

M

3:34 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Michael,
It is more about who I was, and who I am now that brought the comment. I was a "high bar" Harley riding biker, wearing a patch, and living the lifestyle. I decided to change my path in life, and with the change, I found scootering to be my real passion. This is a much better path that I follow now. I'm happy.

Have fun,
Bill

7:34 AM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Bill, welcome to your new "paths"!
I believe we are both better for our decisions towards a,I won't say easier path, but a far more rewarding one!
Go back to my blog on faith, and look under comments, and go to Dru's comment. It's an awesome one! The bottom line is....not being a Christian, but living it!
Peace!
Cody

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter