Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Extraction Day!

I had the nicest visit with my new dentist today. It was determined back in January that my genetic make-up deemed it necessary that I get to enjoy partial dentures. Woo,Hoo!! So at 9:00 am, I shook hands with Dr. Johnson. Since he's new to the clinic, he had some time on his hands. And I had his hands in my mouth for an hour and a half. Two fillings, and two extractions later, I wobbled out of the office still half lit on the nitrous oxide that had kept me mellow during the drilling, yanking and fretting over how much this was going to tap me out-of-pocket. My insurance doesn't cover much more than a "drive-by" type of visit.

One thing for sure though, I'm glad that I didn't go "cowboy" and ride the scooter. No amount of deep breathing to clear my head when I was done was going to put me in a clear enough frame of mind to ride. Sometimes driving the family truckster is the right choice. I say this because, if I could have possibly eaten anything at all, I should have eaten some words that I had spoken just yesterday.

A co-worker had lined up a ride with his Dad to and from his dentist yesterday for a root-canal that he had done. I had bragged that I've driven, ridden motorcycles and bicycles from the dentist with no problem. Then along comes today, and I have a "problem". I owe him one.

The Doc did tell me though that I could not go back to work today. I had turned him down on getting pain meds, so he told me to go home and do "nothing" for the rest of today. I made some mumbling phone calls and told everyone that I was going to sit this one out, and promply fell asleep for a couple of hours. After coming around again, I puttered around the backyard wishing that I could go for a ride. I think guilt would have won though, because I don't think that I should play, if I can't work. So scooting will have to wait till tomorrow.

And speaking of tomorrow, if the UPS man shows up for our pal Jeff, I hope to post a photo of his newly purchased Fishtail Parka that I had posted about a while back. J.B. scored one online for a great price. For you fans of the Mods and Rockers era, you might recognize the handsome jacket. Who knows, my eBay savvy wife might surprise me with one of my own if she is impressed enough with Jeff's. This old rocker might have a little "Mod" in him after all!

Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, do I win any point for riding my motorcycle to get a vasectomy?

Wasn't too bad, what with the various and sundry injections they gave me.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bill,

This is a good reminder that we riders often let the ego get in the way of commonsense. Good on you for knowing your limits... far better to know you'll live to ride another day than to crash into a tree doped up to your eyeballs!

M

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see that. A parka on a scooter in the Summer?

Isn't that what the Brits call an "Anorak"?

Ride well,
=gc=

5:01 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Tinker,
You win all the points! Is that what they refer to as "comfortably numb"?

Michael,
I'm showing my age in both dental needs and wisdom. I've never been a doper in my life, but I was high enough to hunt ducks with a rake when I rolled out of the clinic's doors.

Riding home would have been an adventure.

Gary,
Yeah, thats it, an Anorak. I'm thinking of how cool J.B. is going to look, while sweating like a hog in his "extreme cold weather" parka. The Mod rules!

Have fun,
Bill

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you obviously weren't thinking clearly. You didn't snag the spare bottle of nitrous for the 'scoot!

7:32 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

I nearly fell off this hcair when you wrote hunting ducks witha rake! ohlord ROFLMAO I was going to say something else but I can't get that image out of my head now hahaha Like something off Monty Python. Did you ever see the marathon for people with no sense of direction?

I don't know Ed, this guy in a funny army-ish looking jacket slid through our yard on that scooter over there. Then he grabbed the rake leaning against the garage and tried to knock the birds out of that tree! Said something about having just been to the dentist but I still called the station. (sorry, still giddy from a nice evening ride on the Vespa with a bud and his Chetak)


Roadbum

PS I don't mean you doing that, but the image you put in my head was way too funny. There is someone I know, who Would find themselves in a situation like that haha. Ducks with a rake manoman too funny... Thanks bud :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Dan,
You're right, I wasn't thinking. As pepped up on gas as I was, theft didn't occur to me. After I get my bill though, I'll rethink the petty larceny!

Roadbum,
You know, I always say stuff like that. I just realized that I don't do it in blog form. I guess its time to let go with some Billyisms.

I also know someone who actually DID do something like that. Funny stuff!

Have fun,
Bill

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter