Sunday, March 11, 2007

Call Me The Working Man...

I'm thinking of the Ride to Work website that this blog calls home, and finding that the word "work" is now outweighing the word "ride". It's not that I can't ride to work, its just that I have more use for my car for what I need to do. This is about to change though, since I prefer riding, and will just have to find a way to make it work. I can't call myself a "scooter commuter" if I'm in a Chevy Citation.

We are getting close to crunch time in getting the new store completed, and are finding the cream of the crop employees stepping up to the plate to do the extra little things that some will not make time to help out with. Without question, those little extras have to be done in order to have things flow smoothly in the process of moving our business. So looking ahead, it will probably be six weeks till the actual move, then a period of getting settled in. What will make things interesting, is that the coming of Spring usually brings a strong upward trend of building construction in this area, and we will be running full tilt while still getting used to our new facility. All of this just before Summer, when the stuff really hits the fan. I don't see things relaxing till sometime in the Fall of the year.

I actually like the fact that some individuals have made it clear that they don't want to do any more than their normal work duties. It's also nice to know who is willing to do whatever is needed, whenever it needs to be done. Certain people are destined to sit on the bench, and others will play every minute of the game. I want to be a player. Period. I'm just happy to work with the gamers. Anyway, enough about work. Lets get to the part about riding.

So since I've limited my riding time, I find that my desire to ride, and to be involved with motorbikes has increased like, a billion percent. I scheme, plot and think about ways to come up with the funds to add to my stable of rides. But what peaks my interest today? Geez, yesterday I found a good deal on a Honda Metropolitan. That would be fun. I was offered a good deal on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 that is within my budget. I could be a poor man's crotch rocketeer! But what has me really interested is the Bajaj Chetak that is no longer in production. A dealership in Western Washington still has a quantity in stock, and is offering sale pricing. For a cool $2495.00, I could be a proud owner of a dying breed, similar to my situation with owning a Big Ruckus. But tomorrow it might be something different, so who knows?

The big question is, do I really need another scooter or another motorbike? Also, how do I sell the plan to my wife? The only thing that I know for sure is, I've got a case of "Iwannaitis". I want a new "something", and until I either get over this bug, or run out and blow my hard earned dough, I'd better knuckle down and get back concentrating on my task at hand. And my job proves to be a formidable task. Before all that though, being a good husband and dad.

Have fun,
Bill

10 Comments:

Blogger Combatscoot said...

I always like to read about folks who have their priorities straight- fambly comes first. I know that "Iwannaitis" thing, really can be a pain. I'm kinda' doing mine vicariously through my Wife right now. Part of me wants something different now, and part of me wants to see just how long I can hold-on to Beo. Fortunately, the budget holds me to the second option for now.
John

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill I wish I had some good advice on your "wantitis". Unfortunately when it comes to two wheelers I've got the same malady.

Aside from my Nomad I would like:

A scooter
A crotch rocket
A dirt bike
A trike

Other than that I've got everything I want when it comes to transportation :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

For me the "Iwannaitis" is for more farkles for my Yamaha V-Star 650 custom. I want locking saddlebags that are slightly larger than what I have, hand shields, bigger crash bars, heated hand grips, heat vest..... sigh.

Due to my height, 5'2", I'm soooo limited on what to even dream for in motorcycles and even scooters. I see motorcycles I can only dream about. When I sit on their seats both my feet are at least 2" off the ground, lol. With my present bike, both feet are firmly on the ground. What more can I ask for? So I'm happy.

Work has increased for me these days, but if it's far enough away, the moon is right and the weather cooperates, I get to ride. Some of my work is actually in walking distance from my house, which is nice and not-so nice. I'm a substitute librarian and math tutor for one of the school districts in my fair city. So I don't have lots to carry, which is nice.

You've got great priorties, so all will work out.

9:51 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

You for sure have your priorities in the right order! Unlike you and John, I got married late in life. Michelle is my 2nd wife, she has a daughter that lives with us and a son that does not. i have no children of my own. I was use to having what I wanted when I got a case of the "Iwannaitis". It's a whole new ball game for me now. Now I have other things,i.e. a BUDGET:(, parent responsibilities, etc.. It hasn't always been the easiest of transitions. Thanks to Michelle, I am getting better at prioritizing...family first, actually, God first and then family. It definetly takes effort and like most, I have good and bad choice days. Add to the fact that we want to be financially secure upon retirement in 3.5 yrs, well that puts a big slowdown on the iwannaitis! Though we did spoil ourselves with the two Vespas.
I think Billy, that you just have spring fever and this itis of yours will pass. So hold on tight, look straight ahead, and steady as she goes!
Peace!
Cody

8:27 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

The others are right. The joy is not in the ownership of several bikes but one or just a few where you can focus on enjoying the ride itself. Its what we all have to do.
Although I have to give it to you, the Chetak would be calling me too were it not for my similar symtoms to Biker Betty haha.
Ride what you have and enjoy it to the very fullest. The point is not what one rides, it Is the ride.
Be well in all things
Harv aka The Roadbum

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two words for you, Bill:

Royal Enfield

That's what is fueling my "Iwannaitis" right now. Well, that and the Triumph Bonneville Black.

Good thing I'm poor and have a lousy credit rating... ?

Ride well,
=gc=

9:10 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

John,
The budget is the restricting factor right now. The lack of funds keeps me grounded.

I've got no complaints though. I enjoy what I ride, but still have a wandering eye when it comes to something new.

Sarch,
I like to dream beyond my means. It reminds me of looking at the Montgomery Wards catalog when I was a kid, and wishing for things that I couldn't have. Now that I have kids, I still can't have them.

It's all good though, I'm happy.
(I also want a side-hack!)

Betty,
My biggest problem is that I'm eye-balling things to buy, then have to start adding farkles to.

But I think that I've found the cure in something that I read. The bottom line on our savings account!

Cody,
The old priority line is straight with me. Listed the same as yours.
Now, I too married late. I married Dena at age 38, and had our first born son at age 40. So I'm not the youngest pop on the block. But I don't care about that stuff. I care about being their dad.

I thought about my malady as being "spring fever", but its more of a spring motorbike obsession. Every time I look straight ahead, some cool ride goes by.

Harv,
I should just grab your advice and go with it, and I probably would have...but then Gary threw the perfect log on my fire, and got me all stoked up again.

Gary,
Those two words "Royal Enfield" have been hanging over me for probably at least six years. (I confirmed that with Dena).

In my nice remodeled living room, I have a framed retro ad for the R/E Cafe Racer. I really want the Bullet 500. BAD!

What can a poor boy do? I'll start figuring this out tomorrow, and let you know. (I looked at the Bonneville Black last night...SWEET).

Have fun,
Bill

7:02 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

When "Iwannaitis" appears in my system I know something is terribly wrong. For me it means I'm turning away from what's in front of me in hopes that something else is going to make me happy/complete/satisfied/better liked/ etc.

It hasn't happened much with scooters and motorcycles save for one brief enthrallment with a Triumph Scrambler but it used to happen a lot with cameras. All that iwannaitis would completely entwine me in obessive thoughts and I would never shoot any pictures because obviously I needed a different camera to achieve my lofty goals.

So now I try and invest my energy in my family and friends and in riding, shooting pictures, and writing. Action over thinking. Sort of....

Good luck with the Metropolitan and Ninja and especially selling your wife on the necessity of more machine! *grin*

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

7:43 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
You are right. Seems like the value of something you own falls off when something brighter and shinier catches your eye.

Fortunately for me, my funds won't allow any impulsive purchases any time soon. And my Big Ruckus is still my favorite ride. I've just been wishing out loud.

Have fun,
Bill

7:11 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

You know Bill, there is nothing wrong with wishing and dreaming, as long as it doesn't become an obsession. Which I can tell that in your case it's not. It's fun to dream new ideas and farkles, lol. Without these the world would get boring.

Good luck with your business move,
Biker Betty :)

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter