Monday, March 05, 2007

Lookin' For Something To Read?

I'm sitting here with that feeling like "I can't stop thinking about work" hanging over me. Too many things to think about right now, and too many things to get done. Is this a sign of true dedication, or that I'm becoming a nutcase? I'll worry about that later.

I wanted to throw out a suggestion to the masses. If, on a trip to your local newsstand, you come across a copy of "The Antique Motorcycle", buy it. For those of you into motorcycle history, this is a great magazine. The beauty in this is, that you do not need to be a member of the AMCA to buy it, even though it is the official publication of The Antique Motorcycle Club of America. It wasn't always this way.

I like scratching below the surface to find out the history of things. I've always been that way. This magazine gives you a well written look into the early days of motorcycling, and shares stories of the pioneers of these eras. Read "Burn Up The Quarter Mile" Drag Racing's Pioneers by Ed T. Willys, and learn of the beginnings of motorcycle drag racing back in the '30's on the dry lakes of California. Or, how about a read on Indian's Torque Singles. There's lots of content to see and enjoy, and the photos are worth the price alone. You be the judge.

I'm proud to say that I am a member of the AMCA, and have looked forward to, and enjoyed every issue that I've received, and have learned a great deal as well. Take a look and see what you think. Who knows, it might even get you to consider joining.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

You're right Bill. The mag is way up on detail. The great thing about having the magazine available to all is that people can see how much they really do with and for us.

The Roadbum

4:34 AM  
Blogger Combatscoot said...

I don't remember seeing that on the stands, may have to take another look...
John

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill I'll bet you make for interesting conversation over dinner.

Maybe someday I'll get the chance to ride with you. If so I'll buy dinner (or lunch) if you'll do the talking.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

I haven't seen that magazine either but I'll need to take a closer look at the magazines next time I'm at Barnes and Noble.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

5:29 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

R/B,
This is one magazine that is less fluff, and more substance. For the vintage bike enthusiast, its nice to find on the rack.

John,
I've been able to find it in a supermarket, so it's not just a bookstore or newsstand specific item. Good luck.

Sarch,
I'm always up for a ride, and a free meal to boot. Sounds like a good deal to me. Thanks for the offer.

A good conversation is like a great volley though. And I bet we could spin some great yarns.

Steve,
I think that you would be one to get a kick from this magazine. If B&N doesn't have it in stock, they can get it for you.

Have fun,
Bill

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter