Saturday, November 17, 2007

"Hey, I've Got This Idea"

I just got home from a week of twelve hour working days, and I think that I am officially pooped. No more gas in my tank, no more lead in my pencil. All I want to do right now is find a spot on the sofa, and sink into it. I won't though, because if my kids find me sound asleep with my chin on my chest and drool running down my chin, they'll giggle and laugh until I wake up anyway, and the cat-nap will be over. So I'll find something to keep me busy, like entering this post.

This is the first week in a very long time that I didn't ride at all. It's been four days since I've seen my scooter. I will have to make up for it some way tomorrow without a doubt. Even if the cold wet weather is still happily making it's home right here I'll ride. If I don't, I'll start to feel like I'm cheating my scooters out of opportunities to get wet and dirty.

I spoke with the local director of the Chamber of Commerce at a function that our company hosted on Thursday evening about the potiential of bringing a scooter rally to Port Angeles with the help of the Chamber. There had been a motorcycle rally scheduled back in September that had to fold due to the inability to secure the proper insurance to cover the event. The rally was to have been modeled after Sturgis, and all of the details and sponsorship work had been done. Russ, (the Chamber Director) had poured a great deal of time and effort into making the rally happen, but came up short. Now, along comes old Billy Boy with this scooter rally idea, and Russ is interested in talking with me. I will absolutely follow up on this.

The original idea had been sparked by Orin O'Neill awhile back, and we had traded some e-mail information. I would have guidance from some members of the Vespa Club of Seattle in the planning of the event, and am thankful that Orin brought up the idea. He is right on the mark that Port Angeles would make a great rally destination due to our proximity to Victoria and Vancouver B.C. Canada, and the pro-scooter cities of Seattle and Bellingham here in Washington State. If done right, we might become a blip on the radar of the northwest scooter scene. I think I'd like that.

I'll be doing my homework by compiling rally information, reaching out to Orin and his group, and getting some of my crew together to help out. I will call to set up a meeting with Russ, and show up on my Vespa with my plan in hand, and hope to get something rolling. I have some solid local resources to call on, and will put a strong proposal together for the Chamber of Commerce. If I'm good at anything, its selling. Now I get the chance to peddle an idea that I really want to sell.

All of a sudden I don't feel so tired anymore!

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Blogger vespajitsu said...

Go Scooter Evangelist Go!!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That will be so cool! So are we looking at a spring or summer rally? We'll have to push Jeff to get his Allstate up and running.

Mod Kevin

6:01 AM  
Blogger irondad said...

Great! That's all we need. A place where a whole bunch of people like you are running loose!

You'll probably have great success. There's something contagious about the enthusiasm of a crazy man.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Cody,
I'm goin' man, I'm goin!

Mod Kevin,
I don't know yet. Hopefully I'll get some insight from the Chamber folks on what they would like to do. At that point we will probably look at the northwest scooter events calender, and find an open slot.

If we get positive vibes from the Chamber of Commerce, we will then call the Vespa Club in Seattle for some fatherly advice. This idea is still in the egg and sperm stages, but who knows, we just might make it roll.

And you dude..will be one of the cats that I'll call to help.

Irondad,
Oh man, this could be sweet! Even if I end up on the working side of the event, and I'm sure I will, just having like minded folks grooving in my back yard will RULE!

I really hope this sucker flies.

Have fun,
Bill

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill how cool is that? Planning a scooter rally. Man I hope this works out. I'd love to read all about it.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter