Monday, October 29, 2007

Never Too "Blah" Outside To Ride


So...in the above photos, you may notice some similarities in the cold weather apparel. Yup, it's the often mentioned fishtail parka. In the top picture that I took of Mod Kevin and JayBee, Mod Kevin is modeling the vintage M51 parka that has become quite difficult to find stateside. To his left, JayBee is wearing the M65 model, and is also sporting the new "Geezer" ball cap. While not as jaunty as Mod Kevin's authentic "pork pie" hat, ol' JayBee still pulls off a striking look. The photo below shows myself standing between my cronies scooters with the Port Angeles harbor as my backdrop.
Although the day was rather gray and "blah" looking outside, it was still not a bad day for a scooter ride. After dicking around most of the morning getting nothing done, I finally shuffled out to the shop and rolled my scooter out. I figured that a quick blast over to JayBee's was in order, so off I went. Upon rolling into my Geezer brother's carefully manicured dirt driveway, I could hear the sound of a two-stroke motor winding out. Turns out that JayBee was on the business end of a weed eater. Maybe someday we'll find the Allstate smoking up the yard instead powered lawn care equipment.
My arrival was reason enough to shut down for the day, so we ambled up to the penthouse digs for some coffee. JayBee gave Mod Kevin a call, and luckily reached him in a corner store parking lot. He was out shaking off boredom, riding his scooter the same as I was. Time to meet-up.
It had been a couple of weeks since I had seen Mod Kevin and in that time he had added a windscreen and a chrome rear rack to his Metropolitan. It looks good. Being a graphic artist, Mod Kevin had done some work for a drummer and took the fishtail parka as payment for his work. I think that he scored big time in this deal. Aside from having to do a little stitching and minor repairs, the M51 is in top shape.
We made a run out to Ediz Hook, then over to Von Zipper's place. Max, the guy we call "Von Zipper," rides an old Honda 450, and fits in quite well with our little band of scooter bums. I'm sure the day will come soon when we see him on a scoot. Anyway, after convincing Von Zip' to come along, we headed over to the fairgrounds, then Lincoln Park to finish out our ride.
What I liked so much about the day was that there was no plan. We just ended up getting together and rode around for a while. We are building our group up with some real cool cats and are starting to form some plans for the future. Without having to work at it, we are actually becoming a "club." Right now, structures, rules and regulations don't mean squat. We're just a bunch of guys that like doing the same thing, at the same time, the same way. And it's all about the love of scootering.
So anyway, as a side note...I'm proud to say that I accomplished a short term goal. Today marks one year for the "Little Billy's Scooter Tales" blog site. I appreciate all the folks that visit this site, and touch base through your comments. I feel like I've made some real friends out there, and look forward to continuing this path, and making new friends as I go. The long-term goal is to continue sharing my little world, and to try to keep you interested and entertained in the process.
You know... you people created the nickname "Scooter Evangelist," and I'm cool with that, because it means that my subtle message is being heard. "Riding a motorbike is good for your soul." That's it in a nutshell, and sharing that feeling with others is what I choose to do. All of you that visit pretty much already know this, but it's the folks that I meet and speak with that I want to inspire. I tell them to visit not only this site, but all of yours as well. Folks can learn a lot about riding, and some about life in this little bloggers community. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.
Have fun,
Bill

7 Comments:

Blogger Kano said...

Your scooter gang must be quite the spectacle around town! Maybe the "snowball effect" has begun and soon Port Angeles will have more scooters than Paris during rush hour! Good Work!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Hang on a second....a windscreen on a Metropolitan? Why? :)

Congrats on your one year anniversary, it is a nice read everytime.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Kano,
I don't know about Paris, unless you're talking about that Hilton chick, but any increase in the amount of motorbikes on the streets around here is like throwing dry wood on the fire for me. It give me a nice warm feeling inside.

We get some weird looks for sure, and a few grins out of the citizens, but it brings an awareness to what we are doing, and maybe folks will remember it.

Scott,
Thanks man, I do apprieciate it!

The windscreen is an accessory that my not be real funtional on a scoot that has a tough time hitting 38 mph, but for looks, it works.

I know some weekend Harley riders that pour piles of cash into chrome farkles for their rides, then never get out and ride because they are afraid that they might get dirty. Mod Kevin rides the Metro all the time. Oh, and as far as customizing goes, Mod Kevin has added some hot-chick graphics to the leg shield that will get some attention. Better than chrome!

Have fun,
Bill

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill - I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and have returned every day to see if you and the gang have had some new adventure! I ride alone and have been for the past three years since I began "scooting." If I had a couple of friends to ride with I'd be in scooter heaven!! Great stories, Bill.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

David,
Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words. Its always nice to make new friends.

To be riding for three years solo, shows me that you are a true scooterist. I've been riding for a whole lot of years, and it wasn't until I took up "scootering" that I found a renewed joy in riding. Having these goofballs to hang out and ride with really is a bonus.

If you haven't visited "Scooter in the Sticks" written by Steve Williams, you should really check it out. Steve also rides alone, and finds all the beauty and wonders of his area, and does it from the seat of his Vespa. Look for him on my blogroll.

Have fun,
Bill

7:35 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

Congratulations on the one year anniversary. Time flies, doesn't it? It gets harder to find things I think are meaningful to share as time goes on.

I've gained some good things from your blog as far as perspective on life goes. We all learn from each other, don't we? That's the way life should be and the value of "community", I think.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Irondad,
Thanks for the good words. And you're right, time really does fly.

I too have gained from your writings. The sharing of information, and lessons of life is really the power of community at work. I've gained a lot this past year.

Have fun,
Bill

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter