Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Let Me Think About This...

Being a pondering person by nature, I tend to think things through to try to get a better understanding of what something is about in order to better handle the situation, or to at least know what makes something tick. So it was with this Allstate project that we have in the works. I wondered to myself as to why I have such a keen interest in a project that is not mine.

The first thought came easily to me. I just really enjoy being in a shop environment, especially when motorbikes are concerned. Even more when vintage iron is involved. Everything about being in a shop, the smells, the tools, the motorbike itself, makes me happy. I grew up with my Dad always having an antique car in some form of restoration. It's a comfort zone for me.

Sharing my passion of the scooter world that I have embraced with someone else is quite fulfilling to me as well. Jeff has expressed his desire to be a part of the motorbiking world, and if I can provide some inspiration and information that will be helpful to him, then by all means, I'll be there for him. It's what friends do for each other.

Friendship and the common goal of accomplishing something together is probably the main reason though. I'm the type of person that shuts off the social part of my personality when I come home at night. I am truly happier to be at home with my family, tinkering with my own little projects, then being with any group of people in a social setting. I work in retail, which has me working closely with co-workers and customers my entire day. I enjoy it, but need the seperation. Unless I'm amongst friends, I keep to myself on my own time. At this point in my life, I can easily count my true friends without using too many fingers. Most of them are guys that I work with, and I'm proud to call them true friends.

For example, I brought up my want to build another outbuilding on my property to take the place of the old demolished quonset that blew away. I was offered help in the form of not only labor, but building materials, from a guy named Dave at work. This is what a friend does without asking. He will be there when I need him, and I apprieciate this.

Now Dreamcrusher and J.B. can be counted on as well, along with a few others. This is how close knit we've become as a crew at work, and as friends after hours. If ever I paint myself into a corner and call for help, these guys will show up to either jump in and lend a hand, or to stand back and point and laugh at me. Whichever the case, they can be counted on, and I will do the same for them.

So with all this pondering, I ended up concluding that the reason that I have such an interest in this old scooter, is that I get to share in the "brotherhood" that we in the motorbike world understand best.

Next episode...Part 2 of the Great Allstate adventure.

Have fun,
Bill

8 Comments:

Blogger Combatscoot said...

I really enjoy shop time, too. Don't really have one of my own at this time, but one of my friends does, and I enjoy helping him with his projects.
John

8:30 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

John,
I was lucky enough in my younger days to spend almost 10 years working in an old fashioned service station. I got to be in my "Happy Place" and get paid for it. That might be why I get so much satifaction from hanging out in a shop now.

Have fun,
Bill

7:10 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

It's always nice to have close friends to count on. I'm envious of all your talents to get the vintage scooter working again. Sounds like fun, work and great friends working together.

Have fun,
Betty :)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Orin said...

Bill, I unfortunately don't have a shop, so I got a new PX 150. But I will be following your project with great interest, and there's a link to your blog on mine, Scootin' Old Skool.' Looks like we started blogging at about the same time.

Have fun,
Orin

9:58 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Betty,
Thank you! What makes it all the better, is that these guys are real characters. There is always some kind of joke going on between us that carries on outside of the workplace. You know, real sophomoric "Animal House" type of fun. Good times.

Orin,
I took a run over to your site and really like your work. Thank you for adding me to your blogroll. I'll do the same for you.

Where do you live? I feel like you are from my neck of the wet woods.

Have fun,
Bill

7:51 PM  
Blogger vespajitsu said...

Good Morning Bill,
First timer on your blog. I'm going to add you to my blogroll. I don't have alot of people on my blog list. I'm finding that I gravitate to people that are: family oriented, seem like if we were close by we would be friends,common interests, and write well!
So on to your latest post. The one thing I don't have in common with you and John(combatscoot)is , I have no buisness being in a mechanics shop. It's like a bad episode of Lost in Space(of course they were all bad episodes) I think people are just born with an affinity toward certain things, tinkering around on motors is not one of mine.But it is so cool that your helping with that old Allstate, it's a great looking bike and of course all that male bonding and such! That's how men bond, we don't do bridal or baby showers or the like, we do manly things. Though for some doggone reason if we ride a scooter we are labeled anything but manly.
I once read, "a friend is someone who will help you out when you ask, a true friend doesn't need to be asked."
It sounds like you have your priorities in order and your true friends are blessed with your friendship!
Peace!
Cody

5:44 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Cody,
I'm really glad that you found my blogspot. I've got you linked up as well.

I'm going to look forward to following your adventures. As an owner of a vintage Vespa, I've already spied your ride, and will tune in to your backlog of posts to learn more about it. Be in touch.

Have fun,
Bill

7:33 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter