Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hurry Up And Wait

Here she sits, waiting for someone to come and pay attention to her. Jeff had some out-of-state company for a few days, and with the Superbowl on Sunday, the Allstate wrenching crew hasn't been active with the restoration project. This should change in a few days.

I spoke with the service manager at Port Angeles Power Equipment and he said that their head mechanic suggested Big People Scooters as the best shop for engine work. Paul, at Olympic Powersports said the same, so it looks like the roadtrip is a go. Personally, this trip will be a great chance to get a good look at not only the vintage rides, but the new models that I only read about.

I've had Vespa on my mind for a while now and am looking for a chance to get out and play on Ol' Blue. The weatherman should have just said that today's forecast calls for "dismal, wet and dreary" because that is what we've got. It's ridable, and I've been commuting on the Big Ruckus, but I don't want the Vespa out in it. I realize that some of you are dealing with some nasty cold weather, so I can't really complain. I read this morning that Minneapolis will have a low of -9 today, so 51 degrees and rain is not too darn bad.

I commented on a blog site the other day about the Yamaha C3 that Gary had posted a photo of. I mentioned to my wife that it would make a great grocery getter with it's 9 gallon cargo capacity. I received an intense stare. I then ran the same thought past a co-worker, and had a much more positive reaction than I got from my wife.

I'm going to go check it out today at the dealership, and get some literature on it. I should hit these guys up for some type of perk, because I basically sold a Big Ruckus for them, based on a guy stopping by my workplace and getting all excited about mine, then going back and buying one with "Everything that Bill has on his". Same windshield, and same tour pack. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

If all goes as planned, I should have some fresh Allstate info to share soon, along with the sophomoric hi-jinx action that takes place in the process of hanging with these hooligans. For now though, I'm going to see if I can cop a "test ride" on that new little Yamaha.

Have fun,
Bill

8 Comments:

Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

Looking forward to hearing about the Yamaha. You could say its a cousin of your Ruckus.

Maybe the Ute' Scoot will become a class of its own?

The Roadbum

4:43 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

You're going to create a new genre of scooterists and they'll only like one kind of scooter, the Ute' Scoot.

Looking forward to reading about the Yammy.

The Roadbum

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will probably end up being one of those last-minute, all-night thrash sessions once the weather turns nice. I've seen it so many times before. In fact, I don't think I've ever done a resto or a racebike that didn't end up that way.

You start the project with a big burst of energy. That gets everything taken apart, and if you are smart, bagged and labelled with polaroids.

Then, since it's the middle of Winter, you have all the time in the world, and you relax...

Suddenly, you wake up one sunny Saturday morning, and realize "Holy Sh%! - it's time!"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ridden a shiny new resto or custom with semi-wet paint.

Ride well,
=gc=

4:53 AM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

Paint not fully cured? Yeah I've done that.

Rb
ps Bill, sorry for the double post above. I keep forgetting...

9:33 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Roadbum,
Those choads at the dealership weren't interested in letting me blast out the door into the rain. So no test ride. I'll keep pestering them though.

And you know, you are right. The Ute' Scoot, to me at least, is like the dual-sport of the scooter world. The true work horse.

Gary,
I can already see it coming. "Oops, its spring, and I ain't got no scoot".

I keep throwing logs on the fire of this project to keep it hot. Maybe we can hit it hard on Sunday.

Oh, you aren't the only one that's gone out with a fresh paint job. I'll tell this story in a future post.

Have fun,
Bill

7:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Those C3 scooters look too plain for my taste. I am hopelessly connected to the Vespa aesthetic....

51 degrees and raining! I would trade a few things for that weather. I must be getting old. The cold weather just bugs me. I still go out and enjoy myself but part of me is railing against the low temperatures.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

11:24 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
There is something about a utility styled scooter that just says "put me to work". Being a Vespa guy myself, I can see what you mean though.

No way I can complain about the rain, with the temps being so mild. Hope you find the warmer temperatures soon.

Have fun,
Bill

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

80 degrees and sunny, here in Texas! Wwe get to brag for a couple of weeks in spring and a couple of weeks in October, other than that we just sweat. Winter, however is just fine for riding so we never do put the scooters and motorcycles in storage. Took a bit of choke and a couple of cranks, started right up!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter