Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Scooter Stress Relief

Boy, all of a sudden I feel like I'm busier then I've been in a long time. Could be that the days are getting a little longer, or that I'm pressing more at work, or that there is just more on my plate than before. Whatever the case, I was wound tight this morning, and it's my day off!

After running some errands, and spending time at our new store location, (where I ended up taking a materials order from the electrical contractor, which had me going in to work to set up a delivery) I decided that I was going to take some time for myself to try to rest and relax. I decided to go visit my folks.

My Dad's 74th birthday was on Monday, so I went down to the local seafood store and picked up some fresh smoked salmon to give as a gift. I know the guys at the P.A. Fish Market, and they are always good about hooking me up with the good stuff.

After a nice visit with my parents, it was off to find some Valentine gifts for my wife and little ones. No way was I going to get away with missing this holiday, even though Dena said to not worry about it. The kids would be bringing me me a Valentine and I didn't want to not have something for them.

With all of this resting done, it was time to relax with a ride. So wouldn't you know it, as soon as I pulled the scooter out of the shop to warm it up, here came the rain. No big deal, I was going to ride no matter what and off we went.

The ride was my usual jaunt out to Ediz Hook and around the west side of town where I live. This was probably the best stress relief ride that I've had in a while, since I've been pretty much thinking about work and putting in a big effort to get a lot done lately. The ride was a head clearing, coat soaking moment of two wheeled therapy. If I don't do anything else today, I rode my scooter and that makes me happy.

The weather-people call for a few days of river-swelling rain, followed by some nice days over the weekend. Hopefully this will give me a chance to get in a longer ride on Sunday to stretch Mule's city legs out a bit. Seems like more and more people are taking their battery tenders off their motorcycles and riding them again, so it'll be fun to be out amongst the weekend warriors. The lone scooter dude with the crotch rocketeers and the hardcore biker posers. I can't wait.

Have fun,
Bill

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy, what a great post.

Man I was with you on that mental health ride. There is NOTHING like riding two wheels for clearing out the 'ol noggin. Reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet song where he talks about "mental floss". I got an opportunity last Sunday to ride a bit after church. It had been several weeks since I saddled up and it was just what the doctor ordered.
Hey, do you mind if I put a link to your blog from mine?

7:11 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Sarch,
Link away my friend! I'll do likewise.

Being a family man with strong beliefs, I choose not to do the "wrong things". So I fall back to the basic motorbike to bring me back to cool. When my gear comes off, its like "Okay, now where was I". Works like a charm every time.

That wise old sage Jimmy Buffet was right.

Have fun,
Bill

8:11 PM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

I'll second the power of the ride to floss the mind. I've found nothing like it though I do wonder at times if it isn't an addictive drug. Seems as if I want more and more and more.

I wonder what would happen if dealers said, "Here fellow, take this for a ride, first ride's free....."

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

3:45 AM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

I can 3rd it. We all know that wonderful feeling when humming down the road. Using my motorcycle while doing errands makes the hum drum work fun. Of course, the ride's much better if it's just a ride. I can't wait for warmer weather.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Steve,
If its addicting, I'm not seeking treatment.

I'd love to have a dealer cut me loose with a fine ride when I need a mental moment. I would take full advantage.

Betty,
Any chance to ride is a good time. But any recreational "get away from it all" rides are that much better.

Have fun,
Bill

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter