Thursday, December 28, 2006

Dig Those Mittens!

Other than the fact that I forgot the camera today, it was great to get out for a while and ride. My intention was to run out to the fairgrounds today to get some pictures of the downed trees and limbs left over from the big blow. I'll do it tomorrow for sure.

What was really good about todays putt was that I was wearing my new mittens for the first time. With hopes that my mother in-law reads this post, THANK YOU! I really like them. Joining the ranks of the mitten wearing moto-bloggers is something that I should have done 2 months ago. Even with my Navy bomber jacket on I got cold. My hands stayed warm though.

The ride today was the route that I like to take in the Summertime. Leaving my place, I head through the west side of town to Mill Hill which takes me to Marine Drive and Nippon Paper Mill. Passing through the mill puts me onto Ediz Hook, continuing till I get to the Coast Guard base entry post. This is a great spot to stop and just look around for a bit before returning the same way.

I really wanted to get up to highway speed today, so I blasted up the Truck Route after riding the length of Marine Drive. The Truck Route spits me out onto Highway 101 where I can run at 55 mph for a bit before re-entering the city limits on the west side and turning back toward the airport and fairgrounds. This side of town seems to show the scars of the "Blow" more than others. This is where I'll go for photos.

Another reason that I was happy with my little putt-around was that it was cold. I wanted to get out and just be in it rather than commuting in it, if that makes sense. The wind was from the northeast, blowing right off the Straits. These are cold winds similar to the lake effect winds off the Great Lakes. The temps were hanging around freezing all day with ice covering the pond sized puddles. Not much melting today. All this and a sunny sky. A perfect combination for a crisp December ride.

I don't know if it's because it's the Holiday Season and that I'm on vacation this week, or that we have good old sunshine again, my spirits seem to be lifted and riding today felt GOOD. I was missing it. I NEEDED it.

Have fun,
Bill

6 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hi, I found you thru Scooter in the Sticks. I ride a Yamaha V-Star 650, but after reading all the scooter blogs, it would also be nice to have a scooter too. My husband & I love getting our on our motorcycles. We do ride in the winter, but only when the roads are absolutely clear. Enjoy reading your blog.

Happy New Year, Betty :)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Betty,
Thanks, and welcome to my neighborhood. You can't go wrong with the Yamaha V-Star. I owned a V-Star 1100 Custom till last year.

Even though I own motorcycles, there is something about riding scooters that I really enjoy. It's a good bug to get bitten by. If you get a chance to ride one, take it.
Maybe something in a 150 or 250cc range. It's a hoot.

Have fun,
Bill

1:19 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hey, thanks Bill. Seems that "Scooter Bug" is real catchy, lol. Many are converting over. If I ever get a chance I will definitely try one. Oh, my husband's name is also Bill.

I look forward to reading your adventures in 2007. Wishing you and your family a great and happy new year.

Betty :)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Steve Williams said...

Sounds as if Betty might have a persistant case of scooteritis! As you say they are a hoot.

Mittens are the thing for cold weather on a scooter. It took me awhile to realize it but I am glad I am finally riding with warm hands.

Best wishes to you and your family for a great New Year!

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Another mitten smitten scooter dude. Way to go, Bill!

Ride well,
=gc=

3:59 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Gary,
You're the one that started this moto-mitten style! The trend setter.

Put the gloves away...I've got MITTENS!

Bill

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter